Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

What to do

Old 09-11-2007, 09:41 PM
TFraley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do

I want to take my1990 2DR 4x4 4.3Lswamping. I was wondering what i needed to do to take itinto the woods.
Please let me know the required steps to take before going.

[/align]

Old 09-12-2007, 12:44 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What to do

Welcome to the site.

[sm=happy046.gif]

Your Blazer in stock form is capable of going out to play.
There are various "upgrades" you can make to make the truck more capable and able to go more places without getting stuck. Not all of the upgrades are visual things, however when your wheeling its function over form (appearance).

The single best upgrade is a rear locker, unless you already have the factory installedlimited slip, G80 codeon the gloove box door. The limited slip is functional, a locker is better.
Then tires. The largest size on a stock rig is 30", 31" will rub while wheeling. Get the meatiest tires to meet your needs. If this is a part timeoff-road rig, then All-Terrain tires will be your best option, unless you got the money to replace Mud tires every 2years. IF this is a off-road rig, or you got money to burn, then mud tires are your best option. The stock tires are great for the road, and marginal off-road. When you do buy new tires you want Truck tires,NOT passenger tires. Truck tires have strongerside walls, and side walls are subject to all sorts of nasties off-road, like roots, rocks, etc. Nothing will ruin your day of fun faster then slicing up a side wall. Truck tiresstart with LT, Passenger tires start with P. AS in LT235/75/R15, or P235/75/R15. Go look at what is on your truck now. One other difference, most truck tires are more square onthe edge of the tire, while paggener tires are more rounded.The squared off shoulder helps with traction in the slipperstuff, while the rounded shoulder wont do squat for you. Tires make a huge difference in what you can go through, over, or around. Besides a locker, tires are the single best upgrade.

The locker makes sure both tires on the same axle get power. Without a locker the tire with the least traction gets all the power. So the tire with traction has no power, and that means oyur not going anywhere, unless the front tires have traction. If one tire on each axle is in slippery stuff, your going to get stuck unless momentum can carry you through. Don't stop in the middle and expect to get out unless oyu have lockers. No if oyu do get stuck you need a place to hook up a tow Strap, notice I didn't say chain or anything else. You should carry your own tow strap, 2" x 30' is sufficient. You will need a place tohook that tow starp to your truck. The only properplace to hook a strap to is the frame. The front should have tow hooks,in the back you will need to add something. If you have a tow bar, then you can hook into that, if not buy some tow hooks and attache them to the frame. Do NOT use a tow strap that has metal hooks on the ends.If the strap comes loose for some reason those metal hooks become projectiles and can end your life.

Couple simple things to keep in mind.
Your engines air intake is located on the drivers side bewteen the headlight and radiator. Look for it. Do not get water in it, too much water and you will hydro-lock your engine, which could be fatal for the engine and expensive for you.

It is best to find a4x4 group in your area and go outwith them. Going out with your buddies is fine, however they may not know proper 4wheeling technique, or proper safety.

I highly recommend you wheel with your truck in stock form for a season to get an idea what she can and cannot do. Plus watch what others can do and cannot do. Then see what mods they have to make it possible for them to go where you cannot.Honestly, 80% of it is driver skill, 20% is the equipment. Your equipment already exceeds your skill. Once your skill exceeds your equipment, then worry about upgrades. Hence my two recommended upgrades, locker, and tires. That will get you more places then you could imagine.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Matty Kling is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome Post, Hanr!!

I'm actually in the same (similar boat) as the original poster. Just got my Blaze (2000 LS 2 DR) about a year ago and have done some MINOR off roading, mudding, and beach driving... I have passenger tires on currently and upgrading to 30" BF Goodies All Terrains, can't wait... I want to install a rear locker, and saw this one (link below)... Is this what I need? It says that I could probably do it myself... Any chance this is a reasonable install? I'm mechanically inclined, but no professional...

http://www.central4wd.com/inventoryd...;folder%7C5521

Old 09-17-2007, 08:47 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

unless you have a ZR2 i dont think it will work... i believe all blazers except the ZR2were equipped with a 7.625" rear differential. the locker in that link says 8.5"

i could be wrong. im alsopretty new to the offroad scene

Old 09-17-2007, 09:41 PM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hanr3 is right always go in groups, always have a cell phone or CB (which is betterespecially out in the woods), always have a tow strap and he is right no metal hooks on the strap (my buddyhad one break and it splithis leg open he hadlike150 plus stitches and staples to close him up. Be safe don't do stupid crap because somebody says go for it. They maycall you a dork or worse but its better than deador seriouslyinjured. Takeit easy after all you are not racing, slowand steady is agood day. NO ALCOHOL while4 wheelin' just creates more problems and potentialinjuries. Always have a good supply of flash lights (I know,I've been 4 wheelin' atnoon and been digging my *** out or a friend out a 1am). He's also right about the locker could be your best friend.Sofar I've notneeded one because I been doing this since I was like 14, grew up on a farm, so Iknowmy truckvery well and its limitations.As soon as I save some money up thats my next mod, along with alift kit and bigger tires. Some other good things to have a shovel (you would not believe how handy it is, a five gallon bucket with gravel ( usually hauled buy my friends fullsize truck his girlfriend brings with us with supplies), ****** block, tools ( hammer, other basic tools), lights, food and water (never know where 2 hours turns into all day), and last is a camera justin case a dumbass friends (everybody has at least one, I have 3)says I can make it throught that puddle(3ft deep mud hole),please post the pictures on here I think we would all like to see. ( Had it happen and was glad I had a video camera). Lastly you need to get to knowyou truck in all conditions. The first 6 months other than when I test drove it to make sure everything works, I didn't 4 wheel till I had the proper equipment and until I got to know my trucks little qwerks. Good Luck to you and remember alway take the safe way or a stupid way that will get you hurt or worse. Happy muddin!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:14 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto
Last famous words, "Watch this!"

If that locker fits your axle, yes that is a good choice. Not the best, but a decent choice. Its called a lunch box locker. It goes inside the carier housing and you should be able to install it, why its called a lunch box locker. There are others wiuth similar designs. Check out Detroits, Aussie, and you found the Power Trak. Pick up any 4x4 mag and look through the ads, your bound to see all the locker companies listed. Call them. They don't publish a complete list int eh mag, and most dont publish everything on thier website either. Call them and tehy will ask the right questions and help point you in the right direction.

Post upif you got more questions.
and your welcome.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:46 PM
88jimmah is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to say that this is some good info here...

Another thing that I always take with me...and may get flamed a little for is an axe. Sometimes you just have to chop up stuff...But please dont destroy things if there is another way out...thread lightly

I would either do the vacuum hose bypass for the 4x4 acculator or I would carry an extra hose with me incase yours goes bad. Im prolly only added this one because I had my mess up while out on a trail and in a vally that there is no way to climb up in 2 wheel dr...

Old 09-19-2007, 08:05 PM
BF Veteran

or a pair of vise grips to hold the cable out on the vacuum actuator next to the battery. Pull hte cable out, and clamp the vise grips on, it wont unlock unless you bounce the vsie grips off, or take it off. Little more hassle to get out of the truck whenever you want 4x4, but it works in an emergency.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:08 PM
88jimmah is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

or a pair of vise grips to hold the cable out on the vacuum actuator next to the battery. Pull hte cable out, and clamp the vise grips on, it wont unlock unless you bounce the vsie grips off, or take it off. Little more hassle to get out of the truck whenever you want 4x4, but it works in an emergency.
opps didnt even think to mention that...and that is how I was able to drive mine out lol.

Search this Thread