Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

whoops..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:30 PM
tommyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default whoops..

I was trying to go rabbit hunting last week and I was driving along a flat 2 track and my truck fell through a bunch of ice. Whoops. I got a flat tire about 2 days later but the bead just rolled. Broke my one tow strap trying to get out. Had to finally break down and buy a good one.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:43 PM
iceflames11 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: whoops..

Nice. What was the lucky vehicle that got to tow you out? I guess that presents another question... I use chains as opposed to straps. Anyone else do that or is there something I should know that I dont about chains.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:57 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

I've always used chains........nylon chokers and a couple shackels works good too

Old 01-29-2007, 08:41 PM

I got my friend with a zr2 truck to pull me out. I won't use chains, they don't have any give you go to yank some one and it just rips parts off of cars. Straps have give when you strech them it's the recoil that acctually pulls them out. I went and bought a 27,000 pound 3" strap that's 30 feet long cost about 60 bucks but I don't think I'll ever need to buy another strap

Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to totally agree with tommyd. I have bent to many bars using chains to pull people out. So I just use big straps that can more then pull their weight. Let alone have any of you guys seen a chain snap from being yanks by a vehicle. All I can say is I am glad I wasnt the rear end of the truck pulling the stuck car out.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:16 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

lol!! how ya been tommy??? lol looks like a fun adventure!! glad ya got out!

Old 01-30-2007, 04:08 PM

not bad paddlegrl how about your self. I can fianlly check these boards again now that deer season is over

Old 01-30-2007, 04:37 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

ha h ahaha!! deer season!...been good not getting stuck like you! I'll have to give ya a call one of these days when I take a transfer up to big rapids!

Old 01-30-2007, 06:54 PM
blazerlt01 is an unknown quantity at this point

glad you got out, i honestly prefers straps just cause they're easier to transport and they don't mess up the tow hooks

Old 01-31-2007, 02:30 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice stuck.
Yep straps are the way to go.
And yes they will mess up tow hooks. I almost straightened out my tow hook yanking out a stuck Heep. He had a 4" lift and 33" and was burried to the frame in mud.
Pic of thetow hook.
http://offroadworld.tenmagazines.com...nr3/117424.jpg

Normal tow hook. Opposite side of my truck.
http://offroadworld.tenmagazines.com...nr3/117423.jpg

Why you dont use chains.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFlnwZHb334

Note: this damage occured with a tow strap. Chains have have more moving mass and create more damage, including death. Research Kenetic energy to learn why.Not to mention that a chain with the same strength as a tow strap will have 1/2" thick links and be too heavy to carry, at least in any useable length.

I'd so some serious research before you start hooking up to other vehicles. Your life or that of another depends on it.

Quick Reply: whoops..