Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

$5 "Billet Grille" for Jimmys and Sonomas

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:23 AM
throttlesteer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $5 "Billet Grille" for Jimmys and Sonomas

I've been wanting to try this mod for quite a while and haven't been able to get around to it until now. This is the easiest way to dress up your stock grille without costing you an arm and a leg. I'm very happy with the results of mine and its SOOOO easy even a caveman can do it. Here's what you will need:

$5 worth of chrome door edging (door ding protector strips that go in the door jambs, I just used a big spool of it)
a set of cutters or dikes
maybe a flat blade screwdriver if you need to take it off to readjust
patience

Take your stock grille off the front of the truck. It's just held on by five or six push clips so giving it a gentle tug should pull them out of their holes. Then, once it's out, start sliding the door edging onto the horizontal bars on your stock grill. Make sure you get the door edging all the way to the edge of the grille so that you get an accurate length. It may take a little bit to get the edging started onto the bars as it wasn't really meant to fit on there, but it will fit very snugly when you're done. Continue applying the edging until you get to the end of the bar on the other side of the grille. Cut the edging (be careful not to cut too short!!) where you think it should end at the other side and finish applying it. MAKE SURE TO SUPPORT THE BACK OF THE BARS WITH ONE HAND. You can break the stock grille when applying this stuff because it does require a bit of pressure to get it to go on. My grille was already broken so I had to be extra careful. Just make sure you support the bar your working on with one hand and press on the edging with the other hand. Repeat for every bar, wipe the finger prints off, and you're done! Here's some pictures for comparison.

BEFORE

AFTER

Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: $5 "Billet Grille" for Jimmys and Sonomas

That actually looks pretty darn good! Nice job!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:48 AM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I'm surprised dude, that does look pretty darn good!!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Wow, that looks amazing, never thought of that before. I think I might have to try it. where did you buy a roll of that stuff cause all I have found is the pre cut strips for more than $5?

Great Job!

-Lenny

Old 06-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

Yea, looks real nice! Im impressed!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Starting Member
viper4559 is an unknown quantity at this point

Beautiful looking grille dude.....heck I would love to do that but mine is diamond shaped...

Old 06-12-2007, 09:26 PM
throttlesteer is an unknown quantity at this point

Advance Auto Parts is the place. It's in the section with the pre-cut strips but it's in a bigger plastic package and in a circular spool. Cost may be a bit more than $5 depending on location and taxes.

I would have never tried it before if I hadn't seen it on another car. I used to work at a Nissan dealership and a guy with a 350Z did that to make the front grille stand out. I thought it was pretty trick and thought I'd try it on mine.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:51 PM

Yeah, I might try it, I looked a little closer at my grille and it looks like I might not be able to do it, darn cause it would look awesome, there are mounting/spacing brackets for the actual grille to close to the edge, I think. I'll probably buy a little and try it, if it don't work I'll see what condition it is and try to return it. Thanks for the info.

-Lenny

Old 06-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Beginning Member
alphagtp is an unknown quantity at this point

It's great and so freaking easy !! done in 5 mins, and use only one roll for $6.-, also I got some new tires, they are Michelin, and got them on sale for $450.00 total, I always wanted the black walls so, finally, got them. This is a little update on my Jimmy.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:39 PM

Well I got some strips of door edging and it works but they are too short, luckily I didn't screw them up so I will return those and get a roll. It seems like if I work it a little it will work out in the end. I am hapy now. I'll post pics once I get it done.

-Lenny

Quick Reply: $5 "Billet Grille" for Jimmys and Sonomas