Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

2000 blazer heater core removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:58 PM
bamablazer57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2000 blazer heater core removal

hey all.

well i just got my power steering fixed and i do beleive my heater core went out.

symptoms: when heat is on a nasty smell which i do beleive is the dex cool coolants and there's smoke coming out of the vents. but i wanted to know if anyone had any helpful hints on getting the dash out or maybe a online pdf i can print off or really anything. thnks all

Justin.

"2000 blazer. 4.3 vortek v6 2wd, aftermarket ecm tcm. flowmaster dual exhaust no cat. 2 12 inch infinity subwoofers, 1500watt bazooka amp,"

Old 01-18-2009, 05:22 PM
quik1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 2000 blazer heater core removal

Hi bama, sounds like your right. if yours is similiar to mine it would take about 3 hours taking your time and thinking as you go. i,m not sure if the methods are the same between the different years so maybe someone else can help with procedures good luck

Old 01-19-2009, 06:05 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did this yesterday so its really fresh in my mind.

remove kickpanels
remove 4 bolts (5/8) on steering wheel. drop it down in the seat.
remove 1 bolt on each end of dash at base (10mm)
unclip underdash harnesses
remove dash speaker grills and dash vent, remove 4 screws in them ( two in center, one in each speaker opening).
dash will swing forward
unclip wire harnesses behind dash.
pull out dash

there are a bunch of 7mm hexheads around the heater core compartment
open it, replace core, reassemple.

re-install is reverse.

its actually really easy, just reall scary the firstime.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

In regard to removing the "black box" around the heater core; make sure you remove ALL the screws, there are a couple on the left side that can be hard to find. I suggest using a flashlight to look around the edge and make sure you get them all. Then pull gently in a tugging fassion; pull, let loose, pull, let loose, as the seal can make it kinda not want to come loose, just be delicate with the seal. after you get the box off there are five screws for the core itself, 2 on each bracket and one that holds the bracket that holds the pipes in place. BE SURE you re-install the pipe bracket securely or you may damage the core when you reinstall the hoses.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:37 AM
xaz
xaz is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 blazer hearet core removel

other sites and videos are showing taking the radio out insterment cluister out etc. is all this required?

Old 11-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Beginning Member
cody84 is on a distinguished road
Default almost there!

I'm at the removing the black casing part, just taking a smoke break.
So to get this correct, I do NOT need to remove the WHOLE entire core box with the core inside? (Meaning no need to go engine side and remove all the bolts?). So far I think I removed 5 little gold 5.5 mm bolts that hold the top half of the casing on. The far one behind the glove box was a B****...one click on the wrachet...ugh!

PS I have a 2000 blazer ls, with AC (even though it doesn't work).

There are way too many different instructions for different models to do this. It'd be cool if they could be sorted by year/options....holy.

On a good note, my dad is a mechanic and so far I haven't called him for help! I love this forum!

Old 11-27-2011, 07:03 AM
xaz
xaz is on a distinguished road

i just got done two days ago. you need to losen the box enough to be able to lean it back to get the old core out. there is one bolt coming from the engine compartment that is behind the air conditioning stuff. It took me for ever to find it. the easiest way to get to it is split the heater coer box by removing enough of the the 5.5 mm bolts that will allow you to reach through . there is a large square hole in the fire wall that gives access. if you do it this way make sure all the damper doors work properly after to put the box back together.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Beginning Member
cody84 is on a distinguished road

Yea i figured it all out, broke two engine side bolt at bottom of casing, oh well! I didnt realize i was missing so much heat before! It gets HOT now, love it!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Beginning Member
Curt8153 is on a distinguished road

Flush out that nasty dex cool too and go with the green stuff. You may be replacing your manifold gasket next.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Curt8153
Flush out that nasty dex cool too and go with the green stuff. You may be replacing your manifold gasket next.
Dexcool wouldn't be at fault for a LIM gasket failure. Happens just as often on the green juice (which now has more in common with Dexcool than it ever used to). Educate yourself on the subject (read that entire thread).

Quick Reply: 2000 blazer heater core removal