Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

2000 Jimmy rear end damage repair options

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:55 PM
porkfriedrice is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Jimmy rear end damage repair options

Since I've been doing some work on resolving some of the mechanical issues that my Jimmy has, my mind has been drifting towards finally repairing the rear end damage on my Jimmy. I still have few things that need to be taken care of operation-wise, but once those are done, I'd like to fix this cosmetic issue and actually not get annoyed when looking at the truck for once.

The damage happened when my exgirlfriend was driving it and got rear ended about two weeks after I bought it. Not her fault, but BS nonetheless. I was broke at the time, so the $3000 check I got from the other guy's insurance went to bills and such. This was almost eight years ago, and hasn't been really a priority since there was always something else that was more important.

I figure the bumper and side piece would be easy to replace, if I can find the right parts, I think. They just bolt on, right? The liftgate will be the expensive thing, right? Can that dent be fixed, or do you guys think I should try to find one at junkyard and have it painted? I really know nothing about body work, so if I tried to do anything to that dent myself it would come out looking like s***.

This isn't a pressing thing, I'm just trying to get an idea of how much this will cost, the work involved, etc. (Or if it's even worth it?)

Name:  UEjBjl.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  J162Rl.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  33.9 KB

Name:  sFeMpl.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  35.4 KB

Name:  BjlS1l.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  37.9 KB

The dent in the liftgate is about an inch and a half deep if you can't tell from the pictures.

Yeah, yeah, I know the truck's dirty, but the weather around here has been crappy lately.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:37 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

you got a few options.
1) new/used corner piece, pound out the dent in bumper and bedline bondo tailgate
2) new/used corner piece, new/used bumper, new/used tailgate than paint

all depends on your skills, know how and how much money you wanna spend.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:04 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Yeah.....if you have no exp and low on cash see if you can find similar at local yards and fix as you go.
if you get lucky it may be just a matter of parts swapping and no painting at all.