Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

74 k5 Body Panel Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:55 PM
JonnyMac is on a distinguished road
Default 74 k5 Body Panel Questions

My 74 K5 needs both fenders, right inner fender, right door skin and right quarter due to rust. Needs hood b/c of stiff hinge bend.

I found different listings for bed sides 73-75 then 78+ from Certifit and 73+ from LCM... I can't get the discontinued right side for my year from Certifit but it was 70 bucks cheaper than LCM. Anyone know what the differences are for a 78 rear quarter? Mine is a 74. I can use 3 patch panels and some flat stock but that's a lot of welding when I can do the whole qtr...

I did find new door shells 97.50 but I'll need to cut/cap the window surround and add the vent window. Is that doable or am I better off re-skinning the door and doing a bucket repair? As is the window is sliding around and it appears the guides are shot. LCM has a prety good diagram and seems reasonable there.

Found a new hood for 94.50. Mine is bent from bad hinges. Is there a bushing kit or is it just bad springs that cause the hinges to be so stiff?

Found one of the fenders for 54.74 + 30 something for inner fender. Might go with LCM fender for the driver's side unless I find a good used locally...

Thanks,
JonnyMac (newbe)

Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The 73-75 K5's are full convertibles while the 76+ have a half cab. The difference lies in the very front/top corner. I have a set of '86 quarters that I will be transplanting onto my '74. I will transfer over the front/top corner near the doors from my current corners.

As far as the doors are concerned, there are two brackets inside the door that are different on the full verts. If you decide to cut down full cab doors, you will have to transfer these brackets over. One is under the trim cap at the back/top of the door. the other bracket is on the rear window channel inside the door. The channel itself is the same as what is used on the full cab trucks, but the top bracket is different as it goes down instead of up like the full cab channel does.

I recently had to replace the rear window channel on my '74 and I just used a full cab window channel and transferred over my upper bracket. Worked like a charm! My ultimate plan is to use the doors off of my donor '90 Suburban on my '74. I will cut these down to fit retaining the power windows/locks.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 AM
JonnyMac is on a distinguished road

Thanks!

I needed the confrmation that the quarters are the same other than the top issues.

Also I may just keep an eye out for power window doors. I've got a portable band saw and the caps look pretty easy to swap over...

Any info on rebuilding hood hinges?

JMac