Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

86 k5 rusty floor help

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:33 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough
Default 86 k5 rusty floor help

so now that i have a gigantic lifted truck i want to fix the floor and some cosmetic stuff. the floor has holes all over it. now im thinking i can just cut the holes so that most of the rust is gone then rivit some sheet steel over it. im planning on bedlinering the inside with some leftover herculiner i have. but obviously this has to come first. i dont have access to a welder nor do i know how to weld. so thats why i think rivits would work the best for me. but if anybody else knows a better way to fix it let me know please. advice is always appreciated.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:28 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

small self tap screws and a lot of silicone

and a pare of good cutting snips

then just bedline every thing =P

Rivets are a pain well for me they are. Id also tack it with a welder but you dont have one so screws are good =)

any ways you got a new k5 eh ? i saw the pictures nice find

whats the other one going to be for ? =)

Old 10-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Anything you do as described above is just going to end up biting you in the end IMO. If you don't plan on keeping the truck for quite a while, then screw/glue away. But if you want to do it right, better buddy up with someone that has a welder and start learning.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

sounds like me with my first truck. i used old trunk lids and stop signs to patch up my crustified floor. but nothing beats a welder. dont know how to weld? its the perfect truck to learn on. my first truck was so rotted. the floors werent even attached to the sides of the truck in most places, they moved different going down the road. had to actually brace them together

Old 10-31-2011, 11:41 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yea its always good to learn on stuff like that

I learned how to weld with a lincon 350 ... and it got to the point i was melting holes in 2 inch steel plates

I got the hang of it now

Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 AM

the 74 is going to be used as parts for the new one. luckily they have the same engine so now i have 3 carbs. lol. i already put the headers i bought on there. sounds a bit better now. im going with a different setup rather than sidepipes. especially if im going to be mudding a lot. they got bent on the 74 and i only drove it in my backyard so ill try to have them professionally done as soon as i get it streetable.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to be junking the '74?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 AM

im going to use what i can to put on the 86 but after that i think the body is mainly junk. maybe part it out a bit what i dont need. like the top is still in fair shape. maybe the axles and frame. ill see what i want to do after winter is over.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator

I have a request for some specific parts out of the doors if/when you get there.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:53 PM

like what? my doors are pretty crappy. and they are crank windows. the passenger side works but is very hard to put back up and the driver side is only held up with the crank. i have to crank it down and then slid the glass down with my hands. so there is nothing much left on the doors. lol. im thinking about cutting the driverside apart to get my gasket for the carb that flew in there lol.

Quick Reply: 86 k5 rusty floor help