Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

97 blazer side striping (rubber side molding)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Phre4k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 blazer side striping (rubber side molding)

Hi,

I have a 97 blazer lt and Its rubber molding has faded. I lifted a little up and the paint it perfect. I have taking almost all of it off. The front and rear door molding has been removed, I went to take the rear panel's rubber stuff and it isnt adhesived on. I removed it now, and now there are three holes in the side. they are drilled, so they arn't bad holes, just holes.

How can I fill these in? What can I use to fill them, what technique and where can I get paint? Any Ideas? I can't afford to go to a shop and have it done as I am only 17 and i dont make that much cash! But the doors look damn good without that rubber crap

Old 05-18-2006, 02:40 AM
BLZNHOT97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 97 blazer side striping (rubber side molding)

i have no idea either but if i find out i will let you know cuz i have a 97 blazer lt 4x4 4dr aswell and i hate the moulding too. ut shortly i will be finding out how to cover up the holes. But if you find out before me let me know too , thanks. good luck.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

Got any pics of it your blazer with out the molding? would like to see what it looks like.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:57 PM
BLZNHOT97 is an unknown quantity at this point

NO SORRY HUN , I DONT HAVE ANY PICS WITH OUT THE MOULDING CUZ I HAVENT STARTED THAT PROJECT YET! BUT WHEN I GET IT GOING I WILL POST SOME UP. BUT I HAVE SEEN BLAZERS WITH OUT MOULDING AND IT JUST LOOKS GREAT, SMOOTH CLEANER LOOK. I 'D SAY GO FOR IT. I KNOW I AM!.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:39 PM

How do you get this stuff off with out peeling the paint with it?

Old 05-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Heat gun! Definitely have to heat them up. Also, some lite fishing string or dental floss to work under the trim if you can then just work it back and forth. You never want to just pull off trim or badges. That is very bad!

To clean up the adhesive residue, use some Goo-Gone, followed by some dawn dish soap in water, then a clay bar, and finally wax over it.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:59 PM

No need to wax it up on my Blazer. The whole bottom needs repainted any way. Thinking of doing a different color from the body line down. Winter was tough on my truck this year.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:49 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

you could use a very small amount of Bond-O to fix the holes and then try to find some touch up paint. dunno if you wanna go that route. i had that problem with my old truck so i just Bond-O'ed it and repainted the whole truck. it wasn't that bad

Old 06-02-2006, 02:40 AM
Starting Member
djremix is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 97 4 door 4X4 also and I didn't do the side moldings yet but instead of taking the moldings off of the front and rear bumpers, I went on Ebay and bought new bumper end caps for front and rear and a new bumper for the front. I think it was the easier way to go, either way, removing or replacing, both would have needed paint so I just replaced and saved time and energy from Bondo and sanding...