Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

'99 Blazer HID Install Stock Housings & 6000K Bulbs (Pics Galore!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:29 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road
Default '99 Blazer HID Install Stock Housings & 6000K Bulbs (Pics Galore!)

I made an install write up for instalation of an low beam 6000K HID lighting kit in my1999 Blazer in the stock housings.
I ordered my HID kit for my 1999 Blazer from HIDExtra.com this past Tuesday evening around 9:00pm.
I received it today (4 days), Saturday at 11:00am, and had it installed by 11:20am. It was that easy!
All that was required was a drill to screw in the self tapping screws I used.
You will need to supply your own fasteners as none are supplied in the kit, although the ballast brackets are included.
If you want the whitest light you can get, I would go with the 5000K kit from this supplier as the 6000K have a subtle, but noticeable blue tint.
Overall a nice kit with big results for a small amount of effort and money.
If you can change your head lights, you can install this HID kit from HIDExtra.
This mod gets a big thumbs up from me

Respect,
Brent

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slide out the tabs that hold the light assembly in place.

Here you can see how I connected the supplied wiring harness.

As you can see, the ballast box fits nicely behind the lighting cluster.
I used self tapping screws and the supplied bracket to mount it securely.

Here is a shot of the HID bulb on the right side (pass), and the OEM bulb or the left (driver).

I blended a couple to show the difference.

Here are factory Escalade HID's. As you can see, they are not nearly as blue as the 6000K kit I got from HIDExtra.

A shot of both of them together.

Notice the color difference.

The first is the Caddy with OEM HID's.

The second pic is the Blazer with stock housings and the HIDExtra 6000K kit.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:35 PM
fatalshot is on a distinguished road

Great write up. Going to order a kit myself and this will help. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:04 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Very nice! I've been debating on ordering a set for both my headlights and fogs. For the price you can't really go wrong.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:59 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sisk
Very nice! I've been debating on ordering a set for both my headlights and fogs. For the price you can't really go wrong.
yeah Alex, that is a good price for the 3 sets (going the same route as you seem to be).

i know you're outta town right now TJ, but you mention that the 5000K bulbs are probably "whiter" than the 6000K bulbs? (which is what i was asking Michelle for in my 3 sets).
your pic's show quite a difference between the stock bulbs and the HID system. they actually look a lot like the APC Simulated HID Ultra White bulbs i put in my '98. i'm gonna take a day shot and a night shot tomorrow, and let you guys see what they're like.
i'm still gonna get the HID system we can through here, since i've already replaced both LB's and a HB bulb since April of his year. i think it's the damn county road i have to drive on from the highway to my house. (it's gonna be killer on my 'Burb when i dump it in the Spring).

Old 11-10-2009, 08:32 AM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Looks awesome. I'm doing this when I get my euro headlights.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:09 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i shot a couple of pic's Saturday night on the way home. took them on the last side road before my house. nice & dark, so you can see the actual illumination.

see how they compare to your new HID kit. not trying to take away from your thread or the quality of your new lights, just want a honest comparison, since i've already replaced both LB's & a HB since April.

the first 2 are of the LB's, the last 2 are of the HB's.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:19 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

The second shot looks like it illuminates further than the first shot. They are both blurry, so it is tough to tell. So what type of bulbs are the two shots? Please list type & brand. Was the second shot a halogen bulb?

My two shots are of the factory Caddy HID lights which as you can see are much brighter & whiter than the 6000K kit I installed in the Blazer. The Blazer lights are definitely brighter than stock, so I can't complain about the kit.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:36 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Second one definitely looks like more distance shown. They look the same to me head on though..

Old 11-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Looks good. I need to get a set for the olds. Im working on a projector retro fit, just waiting for a buddy to make me a set of clear lenses.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:09 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by LuvMyTJ
The second shot looks like it illuminates further than the first shot. They are both blurry, so it is tough to tell. So what type of bulbs are the two shots? Please list type & brand. Was the second shot a halogen bulb?
like i said, pic's 1 & 2 are of the LB's, pic's 3 & 4 are of the HB's.

the reason that two pic's, facing down the road are a little blurry, is due to the longer exposure required for the contast between the black background and the "hot spot" from the lights.

i was taking the pic's from the center of the truck (@ the edge of the moon roof), and was holding the camera on the first one (must have shaken the camera). the second time i was smarter and let it sit on the roof.

the bulbs are APC Simulated HID Plasma Ultra White HB-3's (9005, pt# 50.9005.UWS), for both the LB's & the HB's. before anyone goes off on the fact i used 9005 in the LB's, let me say that i tried 9006's in there, and found that the distance wasn't what i was looking for. obviously the 9005's don't have the painted tips, so they illuminate a little farthur, which is why i went with them.

i didn't just view the different bulbs from the driver's seat only. i had my wife follow me around while i drove the Jetta, so i could see them in my rear view, and from oncoming, so i could understand what others would be viewing while i was driving.
i can't stand the asses that drop in aftermarket bulbs (in s**ty colours) that do nothing to illuminate the road, and only blind everyone around them.

Quick Reply: '99 Blazer HID Install Stock Housings & 6000K Bulbs (Pics Galore!)