Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Adding Seats in Cargo Area

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Schmev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adding Seats in Cargo Area

1999 4 Door, it has those four tie down rings in the back. I need to drive my Blazer 3 hours to Chicago for Thanksgiving, and it'll be 3 adults, 3 children, and a baby in a car seat. Now, say I picked up a bench or two buckets, bolted it down to a board, and secured to these tie down rings? Surely it's a better idea than just letting two people just bounce around in the back, as the seats would have belts. We really don't have any other options for vehicles, I'm the only vehicle owner of the group LOL. Has anyone tried to fit 7 people in a Blazer for a road trip with a reasonable bit of comfort?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:08 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Adding Seats in Cargo Area

For the sake of passenger safety and motor vehicle laws, DON'T DO THIS. Rent a minivan or other larger vehicle if you need to carry this many people.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:29 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

The blazer is already a rollover-prone vehicle, adding the weight of two people to the back would increase the instability.
Aside from that, the passengers would have no headspace.

And according to the insurance institute of highway safety, only the passenger sitting in the factory equipped seats would be covered if a wreck occurred.

My advice: take another vehicle.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:32 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good gravy, dont do that. Its no where near strong enough to stay together in an accident. Wood doesnt really like shearing forces. However, what you could do is if you found a bench that has seat belts built into it and then bolted it (or welding would be better if you could do it) to some sort of a steel frame that you could attach to the floor mounts that should be fairly strong. Only down side i see is that you would have no head room with the raised floor the way it is.

Now this process i dont fully recommend as its probably notDOT legal. I say just rent a van or find someone you can borrow one from. Much safer that way.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:39 PM
coplinb is an unknown quantity at this point

i like where your head is at but i have to agree with everyone, its not going to be safe, comfortable, or functional when you try to look out the back window. sorry we popped your bubble.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:48 PM
felonyblazer96 is an unknown quantity at this point

im afraid thatwouldnt be smart....wheres their heads gonna go? are you gonna make a custom sunroof in the back to let their heads have enough room?

Old 11-12-2007, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

where is all the cargo and baggage gonna go? whenever we go to my grandparents house, we take my truck and with just 4 of us, we have so much luggage we nearly fill up the back.

unless, maybe you are just driving there to visit for a day and then drive back. whenever we go, we stay there for a few days before coming back.

and, like others said, that probably isnt the best idea

Old 11-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Idriveachevy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hertz rents minivans for sheap, its worth spending the money compared to losing the lives...

Old 11-15-2007, 05:32 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

thats definately not a good idea as everybofdy else said. although i have had 7 in my two door blazer and they all were in the seats. nobody was in the carge area. my system was back there and it rides with me before anybody else does.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:52 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Rent a van, unless you did some serious customization to the rear of your blaze for example cut the floor and frame drop it down re-weld it all up then put seats in the back I still don't think it would be remotley safe!! Do the smart thing and get a van!!!

Quick Reply: Adding Seats in Cargo Area