Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

All Black or Original?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default All Black or Original?

So I just got my truck back from my Tech school. It was making a loud clunking noise and it needed a good tune-up. They were nice enough to work on my truck special for me! They replaced ALL my fluids along with new ball joints, new alternator (old one was only putting out ~40 Amps), new muffler and tail pipe (the old one was literally riddled with holes), new thermostat and temp. sensor, and a few other little things. All that with a bill of about $460. You tell me if that's good or bad.
But anyways, I had the autobody shop take a look at my rust while i was there and they said it would cost me ~$400 to replace my driver side front fender and repaint it and along with fixing the bottom of my driver-side door. So that got me to thinking, does that really sound like a good price? My neighbor's got an in with a guy at an autobody shop in town and he's going to take me down there to see if they'll give me a better price or better work. My neighbor told me that it's probably cheaper or a little more to just go ahead and have the red stripe on my truck painted black and that it would look better anyways. Any ideas on that? He also suggested taking off the chrome trim around my wheel wells and the black strip that goes around the body. So far i think he's got me hooked on going all black and getting rid of the chrome. I would be keeping the chrome on the front end and the tail lights. Does anyone see any problems with this or have any input on it? Suggestions are always good too! Thanks everyone!

And we would be getting rid of the rusty old rear bumper and put in a roll pan. Also taking off tire carrier and filling in resulting holes in body (would anyone want the carrier?). Any of this sound good or bad?

Last edited by Blazers.B.Kewl; 03-27-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:31 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Its really up to you its your truck your going to be the one stuck with it!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 PM

ok ,so i got another estimate from a local Autobody place. they said they could from the top of the red stripe all the way down all around the truck black for about $900. Does that sound like a good deal? And im really considering it since i have a lot of rust starting to form around the bottom of the truck and it would look real nice all black and shiny And another question, does a S10/S15 truck roll pan fit my blazer? even if the truck roll pan is from the same year as my blazer? Because it's hard finding a cheap one for a blazer but the ones for trucks are all around. thanks

Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 PM
deadbuzzard is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm. 900$ seems high. what are they doing? just paint? i think i payed around 400 for an entire car.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Beginning Member
90K5 is on a distinguished road

$900 seems pretty step for half the truck painted, I would rather go to all black but it is a matter of opinion.. And for painting over the rust, I would either treat it or new metal, because painting over it won't last long.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:30 PM

Yeah, $900 would be to get about half the truck painted. But that also includes fixing my fender and any and all rust they can find on it (i absolutely hate rust). And all the rust is on the bottom half of it, that's basically all they need to do. And I just recently got the estimate lowered to $800 by taking all of the rubber strips and chrome off for them. Is that still high? And i'm pretty sure they would be welding in new metal after cutting out the rusted bits.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:02 PM

Finally got it done!!! It now sits in the driveway black and shiny and looking better than my step-dad's brandy new black tacoma! haha. Pics soon to come

Old 05-03-2009, 06:57 AM
cabledawg is on a distinguished road

Post pics. I am thinking of going all black with mine

Old 05-03-2009, 07:35 PM

Here's the pics as promised

any specs you see on the paint are just rain drops. It was starting to rain as i went out to grab pics.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Beginning Member
rednose is an unknown quantity at this point

looks alot better!

Quick Reply: All Black or Original?