Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Bad Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:09 PM
PORTER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bad Paint?

Bought my 99 blazer sometime last year... the dealership had warned us of some paint that had started to chip on the roof.. which at the time was no big deal, seeing as my dad owned a bodyshop for 30 some years.. painting is not a big deal to us, and we can do it..

but as the year has progressed... the peeling has become ridiculous. what's left of paint on the surface of the roof is covered in cracks in the paint and looks all spiderwebbed.. and it's now moved to the hood. and beginning on the front fenders. i'm pretty convinced that the paint just came defective from the factory..

anyone else had this problem? not just with their blazers... but any car they've owned? just curious. thanks

Mercedes

Old 01-21-2008, 06:13 PM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Bad Paint?

my guess is the sun has takin its beating on your clear. Is it black?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:23 PM

it's dark blue..

but you should see the pay it peels.. it's not little flakes here and there... it's like big 4, 6, 8 inch pieces... and it peels right down to the metal. i took it to a friend of ours that paints recently.. and he was so confused.. hahah, it's really strange looking...

Old 01-21-2008, 07:25 PM
WhiteTie BlackJacket is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah man I think I have the same problem w/ the spider web deal on my hood, is it a lot of little white cracks all over it? Mines not peeling though

Old 01-21-2008, 07:49 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Do you guys keep your vehicles regularly waxed?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:54 PM

i don't know if wax will help. Most dark colored cars do that thats why i asked if it were black. The sun's rays just take a toll after awhile

Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Ah yea, I was just thinking if you wax and protect the clear coat, you stop the ability of the sun from destroying the paint. Or is that not really how it all works?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:05 PM

the sun gets absorbed by dark colors more i think after years of getting the panels so hot it just wears it down. Its probably only on the top fenders, roof and hood right?
(they see the sun the most)

Old 01-21-2008, 09:42 PM

yeah i guess that'd make sense.. never really thought about that i suppose.

guess it's time to go get it sprayed.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 PM
BF Veteran

Well make sure to get the body sanded down. If you just spray over the current coat, it'll keep flaking (better yet, chunking) off. With that kind of wear youre gunna wanna pay the extra money and get it done right or you'll be doing it again in a year or two.

Quick Reply: Bad Paint?