Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Bed liner as a paint job

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:21 PM
overtorqued is on a distinguished road
Default Bed liner as a paint job

Im considering using bed liner as a paint job i think it looks pretty tough.... they have roll on do it yourself kits.... i was wondering if anyone has tried this and if so how does it come out or should i just have a shop spray it on for me?

Old 11-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Monkeyman is on a distinguished road

I know there are some who have done the lower half of their truck with a roll on/spray on bedliner and it does'nt look half bad but I'm not sure how tacky it would look to do the entire truck. At least you'd never have to worry about waxing or scratches.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:04 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I did the roll on stuff (herculiner $75 per gallon) on my floor boards. Came out awesome, 2 cots and still a quart left over. No visible lines, because it is so thick and chunky. Painting the outside will be hard since it will run and needs to set up at 75 degrees for a good while. You shouldn't take it out for 2 days or so so it can cure fully.
It will look odd.... I have seen a samuri running around like that. TBH, you might want to look into rocker guard as a paint since it will be just as tough looking, and a LOT easier to keep looking right since some bedliners have a problem fading...
Spray is going to cost you some $$$.
You can go two-tone bed liner (on rockers) rocker guard on the rest and look wicked tough. Plus the bedliner comes in different colors, and the rocker guard is paint to match.
just an option...

Old 11-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

UGLY AS SIN!!!! The rockers are one thing and on certain vehicles it looks good, but the entire vehicle looks like crap.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Zeeke98
UGLY AS SIN!!!! The rockers are one thing and on certain vehicles it looks good, but the entire vehicle looks like crap.

It looks really good when it's a black vehicle with black roll on liner.

Don't use the spray, you don't get any texture from it

Old 11-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by The_Beast
Don't use the spray, you don't get any texture from it
So all the pros that spray it on don't have texture? LOL

Old 11-12-2009, 11:47 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Zeeke98
So all the pros that spray it on don't have texture? LOL

No pro jobs do have texture, they have a special machine that gives it its texture (probably witchcraft or something)

That's what non-pro spray liner looks like, there is some but not a whole bunch

Old 11-13-2009, 01:32 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I've only seen one truck done top to bottom in it and it looks like crap. If it was trail rig only I might go for it but other wise no. The rockers look good and I've even seen a van with the roof done in it and that looked pretty good.

Pros can create the amount of texture it applies by adjusting the settings on the gun and the distance they shoot it from. You can spray the can from a bit further away and add texture to DIY parts.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 PM
nnnon632 is an unknown quantity at this point

think about doing the bottom half, but i wouldn't go higher. keep it under the trim on the doors just my .02

Old 11-18-2009, 10:22 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of black roll on up to the body line just above the plastic blazer tirm (complete rocker). I like the roof idea INSIDE the roof rack area. I like the idea of the whole front and read bumper (specifically step bumper in rear). I like the idea of the inside, and maybe ever a SMALL amount of interior trim.... (kick pannels and lower trim along doors on floor board). BUT only on an off-roading rig. top to bottom looks bad IMO.
A full sized 1st gen or K5 would be ideal for this kind of thing.

Quick Reply: Bed liner as a paint job