Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Bed liner as a paint job

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 01:10 AM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

They get texture by turning the pressure on the spray gun down. They start off the spray with high pressure. Then turn down the pressure and texturize by waving the spray gun like a garden hose back and fourth. I used to work at a truck accesories
shop in Edmonton.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

did my lower portion...totally happy with it..
more pics in album

Attached Thumbnails Bed liner as a paint job-1011091447a.jpg   Bed liner as a paint job-1011091447.jpg  
Old 11-28-2009, 10:03 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

bed liner you say? is that the smooth stuff from the can then? also, that last chrome rocker trim on the bumper, is that from an S10 PU? lastly those are 31x10.5's on there? with only a shackle and t-bar? they fill up the front pretty well, but dont look very wide. I looked through the albums, but could you get a shot of the front tire at full turn? If all you did was +1.25 and +2 to pull off 31's... i'm game

Last edited by ABN31B; 11-28-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Starting Member
degaine_designs is on a distinguished road

In my opinion it looks horrible. I've seen vehicles done top to bottom with bed liner. The problem is just that... its "bed" liner, not paint. It wasn't originally designed for the exterior, therefore it doesn't look very appealing. The vehicles I've seen weren't daily drivers, just "beaters" used for off-roading or hunting.

The roll on stuff or even the store-bought spray on bed liner isn't as high quality as that which the Line-X or Rhino Lining guys use. Though, if you are on a budget and want to do it yourself, then you pretty much have to go with the store-bought stuff I guess. If you want a quality job that won't need a lot of upkeep, then go with the pros. If its just for a "beater" and not your daily driver then I'd say go with the store-bought stuff but for the best results with that I'd suggest stripping the paint to the metal so that it will be less likely to peel.

That's just what I think. In the end, its obviously up to you.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:30 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

ABN31B

yes those are 31X10.5. only mods are what is on the list.
the rockers bedliner is from a can...i am a cheap bastard. there is some texture to it, just slightly more than paint though. but for 40.00 bucks and some 300 grit - i cant complain.
the tires do clear the fenders no cutting at all, but it is tight.
i can get some pics to show how tight.

as far as t-crank, the only setback i had was the cv boots slipped and spun lovely lube all over frame. easy enough to fix though. 2.00 for very large clamps and some new boot packs (lube) and clean up....i will take a pick of that too.

the chrome trim on the lower portion was always there. it actually is the black rubber trim with the chrome strip you see on all blazers..check before pics....was gonna remove it but would also have to remove the rear corners, it is attached pretty good back there holes go right thru rear corners to hold it on...so there it stays...

but overall very happy with work so far.

Attached Thumbnails Bed liner as a paint job-1129091006.jpg   Bed liner as a paint job-1129090917.jpg  

Last edited by warthogdriver; 11-29-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: pics added
Old 11-29-2009, 01:15 PM
BF Veteran

awesome. i have the same side door trim, but have not seen it on the bumper that I can remember. if you would be so kid as to throw a shot of that rear bumper trim piece, and the 31's in the wheel well, I am quite interested in those 2 aspects of your truck.

Looking at it again, i like the look of the liner-in-a-can for rocker panels. I think the gritty stuff would look cheesey after a while, where as your job looks more like heavy duty rocker-guard than bed liner, toning it down some but still much tougher.... All in all I digs it. (i may just borrow that look instead of the roll-on rockers )

Old 11-29-2009, 07:17 PM
BF Veteran

yeah, the liner i used was dupont (i think) from autozone 17.00 a quart. (be sure to shake can well to get sediments out)
two quarts was more than enough to do the job, i have four coats down where it is applied. i just used a good brush (bristles wont come out) the roller really didnt work for me. just be sure to have exacto blade handy when pulling masking off, just in case.

Last edited by warthogdriver; 11-29-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:24 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

one of my friends did it on his truck and it looks kinda tacky but each to their own i guess. if thats what you want to do i would do it.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 PM
BF Veteran

thanks hubert. I think I will.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:09 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I'm still torn on whether or not to do my truck in bed liner. I've been toying with the idea. It's either that or flat black. I've got a long time to think about it though since I won't be in the market for a new paint job for a long time..

Quick Reply: Bed liner as a paint job