Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Best seat swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Starting Member
theonetruetom is on a distinguished road
Default Best seat swap?

I'm looking at seat swaps in my '89 S-blazer, and I'm considering alternatives. I'd like bolt-in replacements, and I found a 1st gen Bravada at the salvage yard that (may) still have seats in it. I just want front seats, and power seats would be nice but not essential. If need be, I can go to the fuse box for power. Heated seats would be super, but again, not necessary. So, can people weigh in on what are the most comfortable, easiest to do seat swaps? Preferably ones that don't reduce headroom any more than the stock ones (i'm a pretty tall dude)?

I've heard Cavalier seat swaps are easy, but also that they're like riding on a piece of plywood. Tahoe seats would be good, but I like my center console space (since I can't delete the 4wd shifter, and wouldn't want to anyway).

Opinions? Are the 1st gen Bravada seats comfy? I mean like. 18 hour road trip comfy, not just "get across town without hemmorhoids" comfy.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Starting Member

Update: Went to the junkyard and got a set of 2000 Blazer ZR2 seats. Had to get new hardware to mount the seats to the tracks, and the handles on the sides are gone (the fold-forward handle on the passenger side, and the back-adjust handle for both sides) and I had to drill 2 holes per seat for the front bolt. They fit like a charm, little bit tighter in my center console area and around the forward-backward adjuster, but comfy and MUCH more bump damping. Maybe now my 18 hour road trip in May won't be so bad.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you found something to suit you. I love the stock seats in my 95 so Ill keep them. I'm just going to recover em and add butt warmers when I have the money.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Starting Member

yeah, I'm thinkin' butt warmers before next winter. But the ones I scored are pretty good aside from needing vise grips for some of the handles. Gotta fix that sometime.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:35 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

My driver seat is all power and no one ever rides with me hardley so I don't have to worry about all that. But I might go all out and put em in the back seats as well just for resale value if I ever decide to sell my jimmy

Old 01-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Starting Member

yeah, I was thinkin' bout power/leather seats but having a 2dr means either one or both of the front seats have to be able to fold and slide all the way forward. leather ones don't. unfortunately. If I went leather I'd have to rig up a quick release for the back of the passenger seat so it'd fold fowards. So it's all manual all 2dr seats. Oh well, at least they're comfortable.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Do the manual seat controls allow for up and down? Or do they only allow you to recline (and fold/slide forward). My passenger seat is manual and only reclines but I thought maybe the manual driver seats might be different

On a semi-related not, a guy in my area is selling H3 seats that he had in his ZR2 S10. Apparently the S10 rails fit perfectly on the Hummer seats. I'd love to get them but he wants $$$$$$ for them

Old 01-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Starting Member

There's 4 controls: Forward/back, backrest forward/back, backrest flip-forward (we're dealing with a 2dr here, 4drs don't have that), and lumbar support (which may or may not work, i don't give a damn). no up/down. I'm a tall dude though so up/down adjust doesn't matter to me at all.

H3 seats would be the only hummer seat i could see fitting since the h3 is narrower than the h1/2. Still wouldn't do it, because I hate all things hummer.

Last edited by theonetruetom; 01-22-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Starting Member

Now, another question I had while I was at the u-pull-it. Will the 60/40 bench from an '00 2dr fit in an '89 2dr? And with how much modification? I don't want to rip out my entire interior, but a little more options in the area of cargo/passenger carrying would be neat. Like, 3 passengers and a bicycle or something longer. If it requires fabrication, I don't wanna do it, but if it's a straight bolt-in it'd be lovely.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:03 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

2nd gen seats will fit but push into the door panels on a 1st gen so you gotta make sure the doors shut everytime you close them. My buddy had some 60/40s in his 91 ex cab out of my brothers 98 but took them out after about 2 weeks cause he got tired of the doors not shutting all the way and his butt got wet a few times after it rained.

Quick Reply: Best seat swap?