Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Blacked out tails

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 03:47 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point

looks good bro, post some more pics when you get them waxed right, also some of them lit up.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:03 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Looks real sharp. Hopefully the police don't give you too much trouble with them.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:27 AM
99Jimmster is on a distinguished road

thnx guys! yea i gotta find a better camera that will show the actual tru red that comes out of them, cuz my cell fone shows them purple.. dont know y.. but they are red well a dark red obviously lol..
i jst had a cop driving behind me the other morning.. and the car infront of me was turning into a neighborhood so i had to brake and the cop switch lanes behind me so he wouldnt have to brake, meaning he saw my brake lights jst fine..

i was leaning more of smoke when i was doing it but its hard to, once like the couple of coats was on i was addicted to the black look... plus im about to order some black cragar soft 8's soon and i think it'll look real nice with black effects ( rims, tires, tint, taillights etc..) on a white jimmy..
pix will def be posted.. thnx again guys!

Old 08-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Nathan1991 is on a distinguished road

Looks sweet man, now that I see your pics Im debating buying new lights or just doing this, Im also loving the black look

Old 08-26-2009, 03:52 AM
Boopappa is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks good, I agree the paint does come out a lot darker than you want it to. I did my turn signals on my blazer and my tailights on my mustang and I can barely see any light coming through in the day time and at night, honestly, it isnt much better, I bought the LED's for my mustang just to see the break lights. I couldnt find any bright orange LED's that will fit the Blazers turn signals, only red, blue, and green.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:19 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I'm probably going to pick a can of this up soon and smoke my lights as well. The thing i love about the VHT stuff is you can choose your shade. If you prefer smoked, you can go with just a light coat or two, or if you prefer dark you can do a few coats.
I had a buddy that did his taillights. He sprayed them under a halogen worklight. The only problem was with the work light being so bright it looked like they were still red (even after 5 coats lol). If course, with that many coats once he got them back on the car you literally couldn't see the taillights at night. He had to sand them and start over lol.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:04 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Did mine a while back, pretty pleased with VHT. Yours look good.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:01 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Looks good. I think I'm going to go ahead and do this sometime over the next couple weeks.
BTW, how dark was it with only 1 coat? I know in the tutorial it said 50%, but I want to hear from a member.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:32 PM
99Jimmster is on a distinguished road

well the first coat had a red tint to it but it didnt really look right, it looked like a hack job ONLY because it wasnt finished with the clear/buff/wax.
so im sure it'll look good with 1 coat followed by the final step.. if u dont like it u can just wet sand it off and add more coats- then do ur final step agian

Old 11-15-2009, 07:34 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

So would the prefect coating be two coats?

Quick Reply: Blacked out tails