Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Blazer Ladder Rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer Ladder Rack

I've found out I can haul just about everything I need including a complete engine with the Blazer but I have not figured out how to tackle a 4x8 sheet of sheetrock(drywall). So far I've got by with just strapping it down to the roof with the rack removed and running straps through the windows. This works but I'm not a big fan since it can only be so tight before breaking occurs. So I'm going to break down and spend the $40 to make a 4x6 rack from 1"x1"x1/8" angle steel. It will mount to the factory points. Probably give it a coat of cheap bedliner when it's all done. I'll post pics and a price list when it's complete. If anyone feels the need for something similar I can include dimensions if necessary.
Best part is that tabs and loops can be added as desired for off-road lights or anchor points.
So far searching has turned up with only over priced Safari baskets or racks that are as flimsy as the factory piece.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:29 PM
RolloT is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to it.

Just starting to freshen up my 98 4WD LS and have not seen much in the aftermarket that interests me

Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member
iian is on a distinguished road

I think it would be nice if you have the time to take pictures and document your work for others.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:08 PM

So far I have most of the materials. Bare rack is going to come up to $30 for materials.
Temps are supposed to get into the 40s this weekend so I'm going to try and get a good start on it. Hopefully I'll have pics next time I post.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM

**This post will be edited with pics and information as things change.**

Finally got started this week. So far I have the mounting plates made up. I still need to put a bend in them to match the contour of the roof.
They are 2.5"x5.5" with 1/2" holes. Hole spacing is 2-3/8" center-to-center.
I'll post up fastener specs when I get to that point but I do know they are metric and something like 6mm.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:37 AM

Can't really edit on mobile so here it continues. They are M5x.5 bolts for the roof. Made some good progress last night and everything is cut and ready for welding. It's possible I could have something picture worthy by next week but don't hold your breath.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:48 PM

Story of my life here. Just got in from testing the fit of the mounting plates. The front mounts have a spacing of 4" center-to-center. The rears are 2-3/8". So back to the mill I go to fix my screwup. Guess I might as well make a pair of both and just make a second rack. I'm down to the vertical supports and it's ready for welding. I have yet to snap any photos but it's not to late.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:00 PM

Well if you are building a 4' wide rack also it is 4.25" from the outside to the center of the mounting points. The roof has approximately 1.125" of drop from the highest point of the roof to the mounting points. And it sits at about a 9* angle.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:11 PM

Started mocking it up this evening. Appears I did not account for the front being higher than the rear for some reason. I'll double check but I was hoping to have this end up relatively level on an unloaded vehicle. Either I'll end up with 1" of rear slope(good for creating lift under a piece of plywood) or else I need to do a little more metalwork. Hopefully picture worthy in a couple more days.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:00 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

Quick Reply: Blazer Ladder Rack