Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Brush guard question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:00 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road
Default Brush guard question

This has probably been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find the info I'm after using the search.

I have a 1997 Blazer. At some point, I'd like to put a brush guard on it. There are only a few vendors out there making them for the 2nd gen, and the ones I've found fit 1998 and up.

Will the +98 guard fit my truck? I realize I may have to fab some brackets, but I'm not sure what the differences are between the models. I know the front end difference, but surely the frame itself isn't different, is it? Do the bumpers mount the same way?

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:25 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

westin makes one for like $124 found here

this stuff
makes
this guy stick to your truck

you can poke through some of these options

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-14-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the links, ABN31B. I can't see the first link you posted, the site says the store is down at the moment. On the rest, I didn't see what I was looking for that says it fits a 97. I'm wanting a full brush guard, like the Hunter ones that are popular around here. I do like the looks of those stingers on that one page, though...

I looked at the 97 and 98 bumpers at LMC and it looks like they mount to the frame the same way. Maybe the difference in the brush guards is because the bumper shape changed slightly?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:55 PM
BF Veteran

the first one is a full sized brush guard (with the wings for the headlights) LINK FIXED

and these were added to show some part numbers and such

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-14-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by ABN31B
the first one is a full sized brush guard (with the wings for the headlights) LINK FIXED

and these were added to show some part numbers and such
Ah, got it now. Thank you kind sir.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:34 PM
BF Veteran

i aim to please.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:47 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I think you should be okay with a 98+ guard. I just put (what I think was) a 97 guard on my 98 and it seems like its designed more for the smaller lights with separate turn signals like the 95-97 have. The thicker top and bottom bars are closer together which seems to block some light on mine because it's right in front of the headlight. The 98+ guard should have more space between the main upper and lower bar to accommodate the taller turn signal/headlight assembly which shouldn't affect yours at all. Hopefully that all makes sense lol

Here's a shot that kind of shows what I was talking about, with the smaller and more centered headlights, this guard would fit perfectly. This guard does also interfere slightly with the front of my bumper so, like you mentioned, that could be another factor.

Also, if you can, take some pics of the very front of your frame near the front body mount. I'd like to see if the 97 is really any different than the 98. I have pics i can post of the 98+ frame if you'd like to see them.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the pic, mdehoogh. Your guard looks like it needs to pivot upwards a little, then it wouldn't interfere with the headlights. Maybe if you got some 1/4" plate and fabbed up some new lower brackets?

Here's a pic I took of the front end while I was straightening out my front bumper. If you need me to take pictures from another angle, let me know.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:32 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Your frame looks pretty much the same as far as where the body mounts and holes are and the front 4 bumper mounts are exactly the same. If the lower bumper mounting holes are on the backside of that front body mount, then the frames are almost identical. It's probably safe to say the only difference in the guards is aesthetics and how they line up with the grill and lights.

And yeah I'm gonna adjust my brackets slightly and cut into my bumper to pivot it a little more but I'm not sure how much it will help.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:12 PM

I'll take a pic from the same angle as yours here in a little bit and post it so we can compare the two.

*EDIT*

This is as close to the same angle as I could get. Everything looks the same to me, except for the bumper brace. Ugh, look at the oil leak

Last edited by s14sh3r; 01-15-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Brush guard question