Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Building a New Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Starting Member
BigEffingHammer is on a distinguished road
Default Building a New Center Console

Hey guys, I really dislike the center console on my 2002 Blazer so I want to build something new to go there. I was wondering if building a new console out of wood (MDF most likely) would affect safety, or anything, in any bad way.

Thanks.

Last edited by BigEffingHammer; 05-01-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:03 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Most of the center consoles I've seen have been made of MDF and fiberglassed over to give the exact look the owner wanted, so as long as you know what you don't build your console poorly (lack of screws, drilling into wiring harnesses etc) you should be just fine.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Starting Member

I've never worked with fiberglass, is it easy? Also, not sure any harnesses even run under the center console.

Also, just to make sure I have wording right... I am talking about the thing between the front seats which includes the cup holders, CD holders, etc. As far as I could tell it was just attached to the vehicle frame by 3 bolts, which was how I was planning on attaching the new wood console I'll be building.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:13 PM

I knew that was what you meant, but depending on where you run it to you could encounter wires. For example, if you run your new console up and meet the dash, there are wires behind the dash you have to be careful of.

As far as how easy fiberglassing is, I don't know I've never done it. From the How-To's I've seen and heard about, it doesn't seem terribly difficult, but I'll let someone else comment on that for sure rather than spouting on about stuff I don't know about.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Starting Member

Alright, well, is there anything wrong with A. painting and sealing the MDF or B. carpeting it?
Seems like they should both be fine.

Anyway, thanks for the help/answers.

Maybe eventually when I learn how to work with fiberglass correctly and professionally I'll redo my entire dash/center console. However, this current project is just to fix the annoying-ness of the stock console.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:27 PM

If you're looking to just paint or carpet the MDF, you would probably want to build it, then use some Bondo to finish the shape you want and get everything smooth. Once you do that, painting or carpeting should stick and be just fine. Just make sure your bondo isn't overly thick just like regular body work.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Starting Member

I plan on doing something (not this insanely fancy) like this. 1985 Chevrolet Blazer Custom Dashboard Photo 3

Not sure whether I should work on the inside or outside of my vehicle first though. Because I want to/plan on lifting and getting bigger tires, new rims, etc.

Also, bondo is better than just shaping wood?

Last edited by BigEffingHammer; 05-01-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 PM

That's a good example of what fiberglass will get you. Best bet is to try small things, get better with what you want, and build bigger ones. Practice makes perfect and all that.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:49 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

In terms of safety I don't see it causing a problem as it should be bolted down. But, I have been considering trying to build a custom center console for my blazer also.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:20 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Learn how to glass... you'll like your outcome a lot better than a painted wood console. If you'll excuse my french it could very well end up looking "ghetto" if you just paint or seal it. You could get away with Bondo but personally Glass is your best option.

Quick Reply: Building a New Center Console