Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 02:26 AM
FoxTrota is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bumpers

I rear ended a Saturn (thank God no one was hurt), and i got ALL of the damage, nothing but little scratches from the trim on the Saturn. Trying to figure out how a rubber bumper did that! i thought my steel bumper would have put a up better defense (instead it looks like i slammed into a pole)

Now, the the grille (new) is cracked but its not noticeable so ill deal with that later, I found a chrome bumper, and the black and chromed trim. The bumper is $164 but im buying the trim which is $70 they're then giving a discount which takes off $74 + free shipping. So, the total is $160, I'm happy with it.

But, It says the part is OE and i don't wanna buy some piece of crap bumper made in China that will start to flake or something in a year. Should i get this here or what?

I'd also like to get a grille guard as well, maybe it would help if this were to ever happen again.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...994QQ6938.html

Old 10-10-2008, 06:24 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Bumpers

Damn if a Saturn did that much damage, I`d hate to see what that new Smart car would have done, ,, I can only guess that somewhere under that Saturn bumper sumthing is def bent, ,,

Old 10-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you did that to your bumper, I can guarantee you that the back end of that saturn is not the same anymore. It may look ok from the outside, but there is serious damage to the crash support under the plastic bumper.

It should not be all that expensive to fix.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

When you purchase aftermarket chrome, "you pay for what you get."However, that is not necessarily true withnew GM chrome. If you purchase a new bumper from GM, it will not be any better thanany of the El Cheaporechromed bumpers. I have seen some real bad chrome come from a GM dealership. Their suppliers are under more strict enviromentalrestraints.

I aquired arechromed rear bumper on e-bay for $75 including shipping, and to my surprise, it was real good chrome and the bumper was perfect.It came from arechroming shop in Michigan. The ownerwas wanting to get rid of some of his slower moving inventory,and I have no reason to doubt his word.

If your bumper is just bent and not rusted and if you are willing to pay forshow chrome, Paul's Plating in Pennsylvania is absolutely the best in the country and also the highest priced. Send your bent bumper to Paul's Plating and they will straigten andre-chrome it for about $600 for show chrome and $400 for street chrome.....plus S&H. Even their, street chrome is better than you can get anywhere.

Paul's Platingstill uses the old triple plating process. Meaning, they usecopper, nickle and chrome. Most re-choming establishments do not use copper anymore because of the EPA restraints.They use a brass, nickle, chrome process.Copper creates an ultra smooth base surface on which they canapply the nickle. However, the copper sulfate (bluestone) residuein the plating tanks is toxic and hazardous to the enviroment. It must be disposed of by a licensed hazadous materials disposal company at a great expense to the plating company.Copper sulfate must be shipped out into certain areas of the Atlantic oceanand dumped.Some of theeast coast platers still use copper, nickle,chromeplating because of that area's proximity to the Atlantic ocean.... toxic waste dumping off thePacific coastis prohibiteddue to the more shallow depth of the continental shelf. In the Atlantic, theGulf Stream will dispersetoxic waste. Although it is not good for the whales .

Old 10-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point

I would try a junkyard you might find one in great condition

Old 10-10-2008, 08:25 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...294966238+9278 try here ... this is the bumper page for your truck,

Old 10-29-2008, 04:18 PM

No structural damage to anything but the bumper, $99 for the bumper + trim just need a new bolt for the right outer bumper bracket, any idea where i could acquire one?

I like this picture

Old 10-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get onebumper bolt, one nut, one flat washer and one lock washer from LMC truck. Bolt: 29-0205; nut: 29-0536; flat washer: 29-0423; lock washer: 29-0426. Total price: $2.10. plus shipping.

I needed one front bumper bolt, nut, flat washer, lock washer and nut butI boughta 24 piece bumperkit (29-0170) for $9.95 from LMC truck just to havespares. Those small head, stainless steel capped bumper bolts are difficult to find. Thecountermen at twoChevrolet dealerships could not find any in their computer so I bought some spares from LMC truck. Order on lineat www.LMCtruck.com and get a free catalog.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Asimm is an unknown quantity at this point

dang lol um did you have to by the trim for the bumper seperate

*nevermindi figured it out myself and btw it looks really good

Old 10-30-2008, 11:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Asimm

dang lol um did you have to by the trim for the bumper seperate

*nevermindi figured it out myself and btw it looks really good
It came with the bumper