Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Cab mount question

Old 09-30-2013, 04:16 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default Cab mount question

I am going to be doing the drivers side upper cab mount on the truck this weekend.
The new upper cab mounts that I got from LMC truck, do not have a nut welded to the inside for the body mount bolt to thread into.
I really dont want to have to cut a hole in my rocker to slip a wrench in there to be able to tighten down that nut and bolt once its all together, but if I absolutely have to, I guess I could.

Would it be not good to weld a bolt to the inside of the upper cab mount?
I did googling and I found mixed reviews on this, some say yes, most say no, some say yes if its not load bearing, like suspension parts ect. Just mixed reviews on that,
I cant think of any easier way besides welding or cutting a hole in the rocker.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:16 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I think I figured it out, I am just going to get some grade 8 nuts and bolts and weld them in. I was looking at weld nuts, but the ones that would work for me are too thin and I do not really trust the weight of the body ect being on that thin of a metal.
So I am just going to center the bolt in the cab mount, and tack weld it on both sides top and bottom, I should be good than.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:54 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Ahh the things I could do with a welder... IDK, probably something. I'd have to play around with it for awhile first though.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:12 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Thogert
Ahh the things I could do with a welder... IDK, probably something. I'd have to play around with it for awhile first though.
You are telling me, I took a class on it in 9th grade.... I am now 28.. and have not welded anything since about 10th grade.... and I am about to jump into it. But really
How hard can spot welds be, i did them enough, its not like I am trying to lay a bead, if I did that on this thin metal that is on these trucks, it would end up looking like an ocean from warping.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Make sure you weld into the nut and not the sheet metal if that makes sense. It will help to reduce the risk blowing thru the metal.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 AM
BF Veteran

Yeah, I am going to hold the welding tip at about 60°.
That being said... f-ing rain this weekend... AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Old 10-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Tarp tent!!

Old 10-01-2013, 02:28 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Tarp tent!!
I was thinking that, but Its going to be windy as hell, cold and rainy. being cold is not an issue, but i dont want to get the welder wet, or get electrocuted LOL

Old 10-01-2013, 05:19 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Dont you dare ever weld a grade 8 bolt ĦEVER! Do you under stand!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:09 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by LeWhite
Dont you dare ever weld a grade 8 bolt ĦEVER! Do you under stand!
Some say you can, some say you cant, what other options are their? because i'm out of them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cab mount question