Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

cool interior idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Beginning Member
Blazerkid19 is on a distinguished road
Default cool interior idea

so i had a thought about yankin out all the carpet in my blazer and rollin on the hurculiner bedliner stuff. no i already have it one the rocker panels and bumpers so i knwo the quality is good but i have a few concerns about the inside. first off wire management, how should i go about doin that cuz i know theres a crap ton of wires under my seats and stuff. any thought or ideas?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

Only time I've seen it used inside a vehicle is when it's a custom built one with no wires on the floors. You could just put some wire loom over the wires and just try to route them so they're not in the way. Why would you want to do that to a non hardcore street ride?

Old 12-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

I was going to do that on my XJ Cherokee, but that was because the Carpet was a soggy mess and the floors had already rotted out of it so it would cover the repairs and stop any more future rot.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend did that to his Jeep YJ. Also because his carpets were absolute crap. Not many wires involved with the jeep which made it easy. But, I've noticed that in the 4 or 5 months he's had it, it's starting to come off in places it gets used the most. So he's going to have to re-do it soon. But it doesn't look half bad. Oh and he may have used off brand stuff which may explain the quality issue...

Old 12-13-2009, 01:27 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I did it. 6 months later still holding like a champ. the key is in your prep work. I prepped like HELL! wire management is easy. just reroute them. just like the wires for your amp/subs, move them to the edges and tuck them under the entry guards. you will have a considerable gap with no carpet or padding (1/2") so it makes this a breeze. my first plan was to route it up the a pillar and under the headliner, but i got scared when it came time to cut the wires and extend them so i went with out of sight out of mind method... Herculiner, 1 gallon kit = PLENTY of product. i had enough left over from doing two liberal coats (not thick or your screwed!) to do my shackles, air dam on a roof rack, bug guard, a pair of jumpgle boots, a coffee mug, the tops of some jack stands, and i still threw about a quart away....

BTW in the pic, that garbage 10" sub is gone, and the brown you see is dirt rust and grease from crap i had thrown back there.
durring shots

Old 12-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Starting Member

I like the looks of it on the back cargo area, and would almost consider it since my carpet is junk with stains from bleach from the previous owner. I like carpet in the rest of my vehicle though.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Beginning Member
Blazerkid19 is on a distinguished road

well the main reason is cuz who ever had the truck before me has put cigarette burn in the carpet a few stains here and there and i was taking trash and old oil to the dump one day and it dumped all in the back and i have tan interior so it looks and smells aweful, not to mention the gas i dumped in there over the summer. the smell is the main reason and its the carpet. and ABN31B, your cargo area looks amazing, sub or not included. what i was thinkin about doin was pull the back seats out and just use a boxknife to cut the carpet and just do the cargo area seeing as thats where the problem is.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:49 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I might just do the to the trunk area, although my carpet does look pretty good.

But then I could just throw whatever back there and not worry about the carpet looking like crap

Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

If you plan to do the cargo area, just cut out the carpet, and put in a new carpet from a salvage ride. Cut under the rear seat so seams wont show and throw a vinyl cargo mat back there.

If you do decide to pull the carpet back there and Bed Line, you will want to do something like a garage door threshold across the line where the cargo area dorps down and the rear seats butt up against. I suggest this for ease or seperation from the cargo area to carpet. This will make for a cleaner line than just a raw lip going behind the seat.

Remember, with the carpet (AND the padding under it) out, you will have a noticable drop from your trim to your floor pan. This is easy to cover with some black edge molding or something along those lines...

Just doing the cargo area could turn out very nicely! i hope to see your progress.

NOTE: Once you get the carpet out you will be greeted by the single most God AWFUL black melt-on tar adhesive you have EVER dealt with. It is hard, sealed on like F-ing crazy, and a PITA to chip your way through. You can scuff it and pray the Bed Liner sticks, but I don't reccomend it.

The way I handled it was as such:
Putty knife, make vertical cuts straight down the pad (3'x3') every 1/4 inch, use the knife to chip away as much of the pad as possible.
Once the majority is off, take acetone and a scuff pad and try to get as much of the residue off as possible.
Get a power drill and fit it with a "Rust Remover" scuff wheel and tear it up. ALL paint down to raw metal (very easy with the rust wheel), acetone to prep the surface, and mask.
1 Quart will do the whole cargo area with 2 thick (not heavy) coats. You = FTW!

if you go heavy, and it pools up, it will crack. Now you have a weak point allowing moisture UNDER the bl on raw metal. soon, you will have a bubble of surface rust slowly lifting the bedliner away and eating more and more into your metal. You do not want this....

1 medium coat, working from the seat backs to the bumper, wait 1 hr, it should be mostly tacky, hit it again with one LIGHT coat. You are going to want to use the pourous roller FIRST, brush for your edge work, and then a NEW pourous roller for the final coat. At the end of the second coat, let it sit 1-2 hours THEN remove your masking tape. if you wait any longer, you will be cutting it out with a razor. For GODS SAKE: wear something glove like. latex gloves will get you screwed. go to the dollar store and buy some rubber dishwashing gloves. they will stand up better. wear long sleeves, and pants, dont touch your face EVER, and if you have to take a leak....well.... use caution. the ladies will not appreciate your rugged all weather mini-blazerkid19 if you know what i mean. herc will be on your skin for a good week of more depending on how "vigorously" you can clean that area of your skin.

BAH! I should just do a write up...

if you have questions man, PM me. It's not Rocket Surgery... but it's harder than Brain Science.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Starting Member

Isn't the rear cargo area a separate piece of carpet anyways? I know it is on 2 doors and I thought it was on 4 doors as well.

Quick Reply: cool interior idea