Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Custom Door Panels

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Beginning Member
hammer051 is on a distinguished road
Default Custom Door Panels

What's up guys,

Basically my interior was trashed when I got my Blazer. So I removed all the carpet and trim rear of my doors (2 door blazer) and Herculined EVERYTHING.

Now I am moving to the front of my cab. My door trim is my main concern. It is so trashed, that when you go to close your door you actually pull the trim off.

I refuse to buy new trim because it is expensive, faulty, and STUPID!
So I have been doing some research on the doors on my blazer and in my FSM and am trying to come up with a "custom door" where I just fill the holes with sheet metal, make my own control panel, and fabricate a new door handle.

This is what I have now.

Anybody have any ideas or know anything more about doors that possibly I'm not thinking of?

Old 01-18-2011, 03:31 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would make sure you have a way to still access inside the panel. Never know what could go bad in there (window motor, regulator, handle rods, ect) otherwise I don't have any advice I'm leaving the stock panels in my truck! If you figure something out post some pics tho. Id be interested as to waht the finished product is.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:21 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hammer051
I refuse to buy new trim because it is expensive, faulty, and STUPID!
1. why buy new door panels? hit up an auto wreckers. @ the most, you'll be looking @ $20 for a "leather" trimed panel.

2. well.....faulty...maybe. more like improperly designed, IMO. 99.9% of the issue with the interior panels breaking, is simply because GM never designed a shoulder on the bolts that are @ the main door handle area. they're always over tightened, and therefore crush the plastic for the handle, causing it to break.

3. oh yeah, door panels are sooooo stupid!

seriously, how can you say door panels are stupid? obviously your truck was trashed before you came to own it, but try driving around without a door panel on, and see how much noise, wind & cold come through the door.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM

I have to agree with old skool here. But if you don't mind the colder temps or noise then I guess its not a big deal. I got lucky and I don't think the panels were ever removed in my 95 except thr right side by me. So mine arnt trashed and the interior of my truck has been taken care of well.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Beginning Member

Colder temperatures? HA! I'm from Wisconsin and I moved to New Mexico to go to school and also because the construction economy here is booming! It is a high of like 65 here today...

So what is this cold you are talking about?? lol

Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 AM

Haha well there ya go. You have nothing to worry about then! I dunno road noise bothers me and a vehicle with no interior panels have a lot of noise.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Beginning Member

Since I tore out my interior in the rear, I already have a crap load of noise! HA!

I think I might use some heavy duty carpet tape and just buy cheapo auto carpet for a couple areas in the back. It won't kill all of the sound, but I think it will help.

My Blazer is also technically my "Weekend Warrior." I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma that I drive around in for work and during the week. So I suppose from your stand point it is stupid to make my interior less comfy, but for me I don't care too much because I only drive it when I am killing some dirt or driving up into the mountains to going snowboarding.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:41 PM

Well if its only a weekend toy then that's not so big of a deal.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:38 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hammer051
Since I tore out my interior in the rear, I already have a crap load of noise! HA!

I think I might use some heavy duty carpet tape and just buy cheapo auto carpet for a couple areas in the back. It won't kill all of the sound, but I think it will help.

My Blazer is also technically my "Weekend Warrior." I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma that I drive around in for work and during the week. So I suppose from your stand point it is stupid to make my interior less comfy, but for me I don't care too much because I only drive it when I am killing some dirt or driving up into the mountains to going snowboarding.
see........that statement says waaaaaaay more to your mod requirements/desires, than anything else you posted up.

i agree, you are on the right track for your interior mods then. just don't go all "butcher style" on it. take a bit of time, ask fo r suggestions (like you are) and it'll probably cme out better than you imagined.

you could go the S/S route. just find some aluminum sheets, and cut them (to the desired shape of the door, IMO). leave holes for the handle/lock assembley on each door. maybe fab up some lumber arm rest & cover them in a little foam & vynil.

if you just sit & stare @ the doors long enough, a great idea will smack you right in the forehead.

or you'll start to have drool run down your chin.