Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Dash Defrost Vent Rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:41 PM
BrooklynBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dash Defrost Vent Rattle.

Hello to all. This is my first post on this site. I have to say it is full of great info.
I did a search and did not see any posts on Dash Board Rattles so here it goes.

I have a 2002 4wd Blazer 4x4 LS with about 80k on it. Truck runs very well. I love it. Coming from a 1990 Izuzu Pick Up, it is a pleasure to drive.

I am noticing a rattle in my dash when driving. Bumps or no bumps. It is not the hood spring washes cause I done fixed that. The rattle seems to come from the vents where the air blows out from defroster. When I put my hand lightly on the vent it stops.

So tell me anything I can do? Or should I crank up the AC DC?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Mike

Old 04-19-2007, 01:58 PM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Dash Defrost Vent Rattle.

Crank up the AC DC! Interior noise is a very common problem for Blazers. Check the vent to see if it is broken or just loose. Even down inside the vent something could be loose or broken. Check it out and let us know what you find.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:08 PM

Thanks. It looks like the top of the vent has no screws. All one piece.
How do I get to look inside?

Old 04-19-2007, 02:39 PM

The vent snaps into place, but it is very fragile. I would use a hand-held mirror to see if anything is stuck in the vent, broken, or loose. If it stops when you put your hand on it, then most likely it is the vent itself. You may just need to snap it back into place or if it is just loose find some sort of material to fill in the loose space, maybe a piece of 3m two side tape will be enough to hold it in place and keep it from rattling around.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:49 PM

Thanks for theinfo. Good thing Iasked this question before I tried pulling on it too much.Lol. Better to ask first. I will take a lookand buy some double sided tape.
It feels like I am going to using alot of this double sided tape.

Nice Blazer you got there.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Glad to help out, that's what I'm here for!

Old 04-19-2007, 05:49 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

I had a similar rattle in my interior but mine came from the lock switch/window controlpanel and it only rattled when I cranked up the bass.3m tape did the trick...

Old 04-23-2007, 03:12 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

It is not the hood spring washes cause I done fixed that.
I have a rattling noise too. One day I was driving and my hood just popped open. I stopped behind a bus and "pop!". It didn't open all the way, the latch caught it, but I had to pull over and shut it. What part is it with the hood latch that could be whats rattling. I've tried looking in the dash behind the cluster, screwing the cluster down tighter, adjusting the stereo, checking under the hood for loose parts, no success. I noticed it does it when driving very quietly, but it gets louder occasionally at idle. It sounds as if it's coming from the left of the steering wheel behind the dash, but I could be wrong. It gets annoying sometimes, I just crank up the tunes. What else can you do, right!

Old 04-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look under the hood. You need to see if either the cruise cable or the throttle cable are resting against the PCV hose to the upper intake plenum. If either of these are resting on the PCV hose, it could be transmitting the rattling of the PCV valve through the cables, making it much louder than normal.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:12 PM

That noise could be as a result of the hood hinge being loose. Next time you open your hood see if you can shake it from side to side. Also put some light towelover thehinge and lose the hood. This will tellif youhave to add aspring washer. Youcan seewhere the hood hinge attaches to thetruck. If so you can do a search on this site for the discussion about the repair for hood hinge. I was able to take the bolt out the hinge and put a spring washer and rebolt it. It stopped my hood rattle. Like a sound you had.
When I was done I sprayed silicone spray on the hinges and hood latches both upper and lower. I also sprayed silcone spray on all latches and hinges for all my doors. Helps out with the noise.

As far as the rattle in my dash vent cover when I looked at I say no breaks on the vent. But did manage to spray some silicone on the metal clasps. I did not see anything underneatheither. Thanks for all the help. Seemed to end the rattle fornow.

Cranking tunes helps. I like to crank AC DC when necessary. Lol.

Quick Reply: Dash Defrost Vent Rattle.