Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Dashboard Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:59 PM
blazer_grl is on a distinguished road

Well, I finally found a dashboard! Went to a junkyard and had a look around and found an old Tahoe LT sittin' there, and surprisingly the dash wasn't hard and cracked. It's gray in color but hey, I might do it for the rest of the interior as well(it's currently all blue). So sometime next week we're gonna go back and pick it up. Got a good deal on it too, they're gonna give it to us for $75! =)

Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, that's about average $ for the dash. as for the colour, why not prep and dye it before you install it in your truck? if you do it with the right materials, and follow the directions well, no will ever know.
a friend of mine did the dash in his '70 Challenger R/T SE about 10 years ago. his replacement pad was black, his interior is white, and you still can't tell that it was ever a black dash pad. now this may be the most extreme case, but it was possible, and i think it only took 3 coats of primer and 5 or 6 coats of white. not bad considering the colour change.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 AM

Hmm....yeah, you know what I thought about it and I've come to the conclusion that I do want to keep the blue interior. It just looks nice! =P I'm thinkin' about using that Dupli-Color High Performance Vinyl&Fabric Coating, heard good things about it on other forums I looked at so...we'll see ^^

Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 AM

Well, seems my project is gonna be put on hold temporarily because of the friggin' rain! There is no garage, only a driveway. That's where the truck is currently sitting and that's where we've been working on it for the past month...feels like it's longer than that. D; Plus, the dash we found at the junkyard hasn't been picked up yet, let alone taken out, and working in the rain with mud everywhere isn't fun so...yeah...

This wouldn't be a problem if I still lived in Los Angeles..oh wait, it's raining there too! After the 20+ years I lived there! >_>

*sigh, end rant*

Old 10-14-2009, 12:58 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i mssg'd my buddy (with the Challenger) to see what product he uses. thought i'd pass the info along, since he's had such great luck using it on all of his projects.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Ooh, nice. Thanx!!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM
BF Guru

no worries. i'll check with him tonight.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 PM
BF Guru

hey trouble, i got ahold of my friend tonight, he said he uses the products made by SEM. here's a link to their web site;

http://www.semproducts.com/

just follow the links in the Automotive section, you'll find what you're looking for.

FYI to any of our members living in Canada, and wanting to use these products. as of next year (can't remember when he said), we won't be able to order anything other than the aerosol cans. doesn't make any sense to me, you'd think the aerosol's would be a bigger issue for safety.

regardless, he said to me that the most important step in using their products, is your prep. follow the prep directions to a "T", and you'll get a quality & lasting finish.

OH! side note, (not related to topic), watching the 11:50p weather, looks like New York, Pennsylvania and the lower section of Ontario (London area) is getting 1-2" tonight, guess Winter is finally here folks!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:07 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I used Sem Gloss Black Vinyl paint to do some accent stuff in my truck. Turned out like THIS

hope that is helpful. I found the sem stuff to be a lot more expensive (comparitivly) to regular paint, but it did a heck of a job with minimal prep work. And no touch ups needed since then (maybe 5 months or so)

Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 AM
BF Guru

looks good ABN31B. like i told trouble up there, my friend's Challenger still looks great 10+ years later, and his color swap went from black to white.

Quick Reply: Dashboard Help