Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

DIY Bedliner Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 02:17 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default DIY Bedliner Paint Job

Hey everyone. I am planning on painting my truck within the next few weeks because there are way too many scratches (some down to the bare metal) and it looks horrible. No touchup paint I have used matches. I was looking to paint the truck in Rustoleum, Dupli-Color or Herculiner myself and then spray paint Rustoleum Metallic Blue paint over it (my favorite color) to make it look good. I do have a few questions if anyone here has done it before:

1. Which DIY brand is the best?

2. Does my plan sound like it will work? Something like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjG8PYLDe2o

3. Now, this is a Jimmy, so there are plastic trim panels on the lower portion of the sides. How do I remove them to paint them separately? I was planning on using spray paint meant for plastics to make it a two-tone paint job (silver or light grey, protecting the brushed metal strip and the "Jimmy" lettering before doing that.) since these also look horrible with scratches.

4. Is there a video somewhere on how to use Bondo? It is easy? My rear bumper has some small dents in it that I want to cover up before I paint (Before anyone asks, I DIDN'T cause them. They were there when I bought the car in 2007).

5. If I wanted to paint the truck in a two-tone type of thing (either whole thing with bedliner or only the bottom half) with the top half the original color (silver) and the bottom half in another color (blue), what would be the best way to do that so it looks good? Something like this: YouTube - ‪Rhinolined 4x4 Chevy‬‏

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 05-29-2011 at 02:21 PM.