Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Door hinges

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Beginning Member
kgpace is on a distinguished road
Default Door hinges

Hello. I noticed that the rollers on both front door upper hinges of my 1997 Blazer are about worn out. Is there an easy way to replace them or does a new hinge have to be installed? If that is the case, how difficult is it to change the hinge or is this something best left to a shop? Thanks.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:51 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I swapped out the hinges a couple of nights ago on my mother's Cavalier, It's a PITA, the easiest way would be to take the door right off. Pull the rubber boot back and disconnect the wires going to the door first though, there should be plugs.

I think you may be able to replace just the door rollers, when I first bought my truck, the door rollers actually fell out, the clip on the top (I think there's a clip on the top because it's welded in now) fell off and the pin with the roller just dropped out.

If you don't feel like struggling to get the door lined up again after, I'd suggest the shop, only problem being they might want your first born for the job. I know the chevy dealer wanted something like 400 bucks to replace the lower hinge on the Cavy, so we bought the 60 dollar hinge and did it ourselves. (prices in CAD)

Last edited by oktain; 07-16-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Beginning Member
kgpace is on a distinguished road

Hello Oktain and thanks for the info. One thing of concern. Just looking at the hinge it appears to be factory welded to the body. The pin with the roller is also welded with no clip. Don't know about this one. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 PM
bizutch is on a distinguished road

Refer to posts #6 & 7 in this thread. I've been doing alot of digging on this one:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...ght=roller+pin

Old 07-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Curt Krueger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Door Hinge Problems

The hinges are welded to the body but your problem is not the hinge itself but the hinge pins and bushings. I just had mine replaced, usually I would do this work myself but the years have caught up on me. The biggest problem with changing these pins and bushings is the spring on the door stop. You need a special tool for this. It can be purchased at Harbor tools for a couple of bucks. Called a door spring compressor tool. Then you need to get a couple of friends to help hold up the door while you knock out the bushings. I purchased the new pins and bushings at auto zone. About $7 bucks a side. Package conrtains a set for one door.

Like I said., I had both of my front doors done at a local body shop for $100.00 You should be able to do this yourself. I have the complete directions in my service manuals if you need them.

Curt

Old 07-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just like to point out that the hinge plates themselves could very well be part of the problem if the bushings are shot and not replaced promptly. An egg-shaped hole where the bushing goes will not properly support the bushing and the problem will reoccur much more quickly.