Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

door pin and bushings issue.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Beginning Member
coupedeville59 is on a distinguished road
Default door pin and bushings issue.

I replaced the bushings and pins in the drivers side door due to sagging but the holes are wallered out and the bushings just fall out. Where can I find oversize bushings?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can't. You have some decisions to make. You can cut off the hinges and install replacement pieces. You can weld up the holes and ream them back out to size. Or you can try to use some JB weld or similar metal filled epoxy to fill the void and restore the hole. These are in order of complexity as well as permanence. With putting replacement hinges on as the most complex and the longest lasting option and using a metal filled epoxy as the easiest, but least permanent option.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

I helped a friend with his out of round bushing holes...

Went to home depot (or any hardware store), bought a bolt sleeve. You can find these where there are lag bolts, or self anchoring bolts. Buy the diameter that will fit the brass bushing for the door pin. Cut the sleeve to length of the splined part of the bushing. Press the bushing into the cut sleeve. Bore out the hole to fit the sleeve, then I tack welded it into place.

Seems harder, but we found it MUCH easier than cutting off the old one, then welding or drilling for the new one...

Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Beginning Member
BLAZER'S ARE COOL is on a distinguished road

I know that this is way to late, but I had that problem and I got some washer's that were just a hair shy of the size of the bushing and I weld them on to the hinges on the door, then put the bushing in, then put a c clip on them that came with the bushing and pin, and it is still holding today. It was all I had at the time.. Wasn't hard at all to do if you have a welder and know what you are doing with it..

Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem and am planning on welding up the holes. I read somewhere that if you are welding steel, you can use aluminum as reinforcement. So, I'm thinking of trying an aluminum plug similar to the size of the bushing so I can weld up the hole and not worry about filling it completely.

Going to research that, but I'll try and post up results if I get to it sometime soon.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:42 PM
eriksarnello is on a distinguished road

new pin and bushings repair kit.. 4.99$ at autozone

Old 09-02-2010, 01:48 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Tried the aluminum plug and it didn't work because I wasn't sure where the hole needed to be to locate since both holes were wallowed out. I ended up just putting the bushings in with the pin to keep them in line. I just welded the bushings in. It worked good enough. I'll have a hard time if they get worn out again though.