Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Dupli-Color Truckbed spray bottom 1/2...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Beginning Member
Inferno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dupli-Color Truckbed spray bottom 1/2...

Well, I got tired of all the nicks and dents, and the door trim was good for nothing but dripping water down the sides after I dried her off, so I sprayed her with the truckbed liner from Dupli-Color and I'm now happy again. I will put the old Blazer badges back on after she's cured for a week or so (lotta humidity here) and probably wipe it down with some McGuire's vinyl conditioner to give it a nice shine and a super slick finish that you could cook eggs on without fear of something sticking. I'll get better pics up later...

It was pretty easy, just mask & paint, then razor the edge and peel. If you don't razor, it will pull off. For masking, just drop the cash for 1/4" vinyl trim, it will make your a life a helluva lot easier when it comes to the curves and bends. I've had her like this for two days now and already people are asking about it. Now to get brush guards and a rack like Wolfpack's Blazer, and I'll be set... in any case, just putting this out there for those of you looking to do the same thing. I used about two cans per side, nice and thick, just be sure to sand up to the masked line or it won't stick. Any overspray that does make it past your line of tape and newspaper can be taken right off later with a credit card later.[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-07-2008, 08:29 PM
redfan13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Dupli-Color Truckbed spray bottom 1/2...

that is exactly what i had planed on doing to my blazer...
Do you have any side shots of the truck?

What kind of prep did you do?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Beginning Member

Well, I took off the door trim (same style as you have), piece of cake since it's all double-sided tape. I then gave her a wash, masked the bottom half with tape and used a razor to get the shape I wanted (that's where 1/4" vinyl pin-striping trim tape would have been a big help!). Everything below the masking line was sanded with 100 grit paper (wet is fine), wiped off the dust with a wet rag, let dry. Mask all the other areas to protect against overspray, then hit it with the spray-on liner from about a foot away. If you want, you can do a base coat in black, otherwise the original color may peek through in spots. You can also paint over the stuff when it dries, but I'm not sure how well the paint would stick to it.

I'll get some side shots up later tonight!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Myerswelder is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem as you, i was considering doing the roll on stuff so i could get it even. yours looks even so i might end up going the spray route. what do you think i should do?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:20 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

looks good, now come here and do mine, lol.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Myerswelder is an unknown quantity at this point

what did you do about the door cracks did you cover them or just be careful around them

Old 05-09-2008, 04:38 AM
Beginning Member

Side shot, as requested; if you have both the spray and roll-on, coat it with the roller first then use the spray to get the finish you want... just don't be cheap and use a foam/cloth roller, it will pull chunks off and stick to your truck as it tacks up. Get a loop roller instead.

I hit the indoors with roll-on liner (sold in quart cans) and stuck a strip of grip tape on there for added traction...

Hit it with the Meguiar's Tech Protector, worked like a charm! Should keep the road grime from sticking now... still deciding whether or not to put the badges on...

Old 05-09-2008, 09:02 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I'd try just placing them with some masking tape or something, just to check it out. I think it would look pretty sweet with the badges back on...make it look factory

Old 05-09-2008, 03:42 PM
burak sozer is an unknown quantity at this point

looks good to me

Old 05-09-2008, 08:38 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I've been thinking of doing the same thing to mine but a little worried about how much it will fade over time. If/when I do mine I'll also be doing the bumpers.

Quick Reply: Dupli-Color Truckbed spray bottom 1/2...