Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Beginning Member
jeffreys25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fog lights

I recently bought a set of pilot aftermarket fog lights, began installing everything, but when i came to this one part it says to hook the purple wire up to a switched power source (parking lights, dash lights) i was just wondering if anyone had an idea on what to do with that purple wire because i'm not 100 percent sure what to exactly do.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 03-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you want these to come on with the park lights (I wouldn't), wire the purple wire into the parking light circuit.

If you want to put a switch in to control them manually, wire the purple wire into a switch and then wire the other side of the switch in to a switched ignition source under the dash. Use a multimeter to find a wire that shows 0V when the ignition switch is off and +12V when the ignition switch is in the RUN position.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member

so when i find the wire i should splice it with the wire from the fog lights?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Like this:

(Purple wire) >> (switch) >> (chunk of wire) >> (hot when ign on)

so yes you would splice a wire FROM your switch into the HOT wire you find.

then connect the purble wire to the other side of the switch.

if you directly splice the purple wire into your HOT source then your fogs will always be on, and will essentially become "daytime running fogs" and you don't want that.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:11 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

you can splice into the light in the ash tray but you will have to have your lights on to use the fog lights which wouldnt be a big deal.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Beginning Member
ZR2nut is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you using a relay in this setup? If not, I would highly recommend using one. It takes the load off of the switch. Might take a little more time to incorporate a relay in your setup but it is definitely worth it.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Beginning Member

the harness that came with it has a relay which it said to locate near the battery

Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I would definitely use a relay. Also, don't go prodding any wires wrapped in yellow tape or you could set the air bag off.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Beginning Member

what color wire would be a good one to use because i want to avoid setting anything off or ruining anything

Old 03-18-2009, 11:39 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

You just gotta get a test light and see whats hot when you want it to be hot. Example: A wire that is only hot when the key is on or a wire that is hot all of the time. I use the constant hot wire to the cigarette lighter for a power source to my cb radio but you may want a switched source. Either with the key or with the lights.

Quick Reply: fog lights