Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Front driver door doesn't close?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Beginning Member
big armo is on a distinguished road
Default Front driver door doesn't close?

I have 2000 chevy blazer 4 dr my front driver door doesnt close all the way, I have to slam it hard, then it started to damage my inside door panel now slamming it so hard to completely close all the way. Does it sound like i need new hinge pins and washer or a new stricker? Not to knowledge on that fix, whats a average price to replace those parts? thxs for any advice

Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Beginning Member

Any ideas would be great.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it sounds like your hinge bushings are shot. Hopefully the lack of maintenance hasn't caused the hinges themselves to be damaged. With the door open, lift up on the door and watch the pins. How much play is there?

Old 06-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Beginning Member

thanks swartlkk yes it was alot play i changed the pins and got a new striker door seems to close now.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Beginning Member
Mikeinnh is on a distinguished road

Yesterday, I finished installing a bolt-on replacement hinge on my wife's '01. It wasn't pleasant. That's what happens when you wait too long to replace the bushings. The pins and bushings are fairly easy to replace....the welded on hinge is another story. Thankfully I only had to replace the Upper door side hinge. The body side was ok. The alignment even came out right the first time.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Mike, if you wouldn't mind, I'm sure that a lot of people would be interested in pictures & info about the bolt on replacement hinges. Part numbers/sources/etc. Maybe make a new post in the Article Submission/Discussion subforum within Tech Article (DIY)?

Old 06-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Beginning Member
Mikeinnh is on a distinguished road

Sorry, no pictures on this one. This was something I didn't want to do, but needed to; plus I was working against time constraints, so I just applied myself to the task at hand and left the camera inside. If you'd like, I could share a few thoughts on the process in a DIY type post, if you think it might be helpful with no pics.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Anything would help. Even just pictures of it installed.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Starting Member
DaddysBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Im doing mine on the driver side lower hinge tomarrow. Would you like me to take an before and after picture or something. Im also changing my trans. fluid and filter,new pan gasket. But i could do just the hinge pin install!

Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Starting Member
Sorell is an unknown quantity at this point

Changing out my pins today and couldn't find any articles on it till I found this one:

How To Fix A Sagging Car Door - Replace Hinge Pins On A 1999 Chevy Blazer, GMC Jimmy, Chevy S10, GMC Sonoma - 1994 to 2004

Hope it helps some people

Quick Reply: Front driver door doesn't close?