Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Front Exterior Door Handle & Locks

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:40 AM
plentyotoole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front Exterior Door Handle & Locks

Ran through the search engine a dozen or so times and didn't find this topic. I'm sure I'm putting it in wrong because the obvious (door + lock + security and/or burglary/theft) isn't getting the results I'm looking for.

Saturday an economically disenfranchised person with reservations to actually working for a living broke into my 2000 S-10 Blazer in the space of a few seconds. My employer (the really, really huge telephone company with the lower case letters for a name) has security video and I'll post it on Youtube once I get it.

My question is who makes a good high security after market exterior door handle and/or lock?

This one was picked with nothing more than a cheap knife by the look of things. Immediately below where the key fits there is a cut that is perhaps no more than a quarter inch wide. The police said that our professional car burglar apparently knew of this weakness and most likely had previous experience.

I know the Expedition has an aftermarket unit that fixes the problem but I can't seem to find one for the S-10 Blazer 1999-2000 model year.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Front Exterior Door Handle & Locks

Answer... Wait for it... No one!

Your best bet would be to get an alarm with shock sensors.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:53 PM
plentyotoole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Front Exterior Door Handle & Locks

<sigh>

I was afraid of that. Shock sensors are great if you live someplace with fairly predictable weather and light winds. Unfortunately we go from dead calm to 70mph (not counting gusts) in the space of an hour. The glass break in two brands plus shock is where I'm headed and since the guy loves to look inside, I'm adding the proximity sensor, internal siren and backup battery.

When I get time I'm going to buy a couple off a junker and see what I can come up with. It can't be that difficult to fabricate something with stamped steel that will fit.