Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

grill conversion worth it and any one with projectors, need feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:46 PM
eslhockey92g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default grill conversion worth it and any one with projectors, need feedback

hey guys after looking and no luck for a civic in good shape im gonna hold on to my blazer for a few more years still, its a 97. Now that im preety sure im going to hold on to it there were a few things i wanted to do for a while and well, if im going to keep it, im going to do some of things. Im half way through putting the 99+ mirrors on ( i have one and love it, just gotta find one mroe for a good price). I was gonna get key less and remote start. All stupid things. My only wall i am hitting it with mainly the headlights. Ive wanted to do HID (true hid w/ reall HID projectors) but i havn't be able to really find any donors that are in good shape and i cant find the clear headlights to put them in. It would be a waste to put them in the stock flutted housings. I dont care to much about looks of the HID i just think the stock lights BLOW. i have silverstar bulbs and they work ok, but if i drive my G/F neon or my mom's SUB there lights really work well and there all non hid.

So i was thinking about for a while on doing the 99+ grill conversion. If i would do that i was thinkingof getting headlights that have the projectors in them already. The idea of getting them not for looks (although it would look good) but more for performance. IF any one out there knows, have done or knows some one who had stock 99+ headlights and went to the euro projector look. Do they light up the road any better? I know i wont be able to put HID in those but if the lighting is better it might be worth 3/400 bux for the conversion and it would make the car look not as sad. haha

and or if any one knows of a to get better lighting, in bad weather (rain, snow)please let me know. I know of the quad headlight trick and the high beam in the low beam trick. Id would rather do thins right. ( not saying its wrong or bad, you know what i mean)

Thanks guys

Old 06-14-2007, 06:13 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: grill conversion worth it and any one with projectors, need feedback

My projectors haven't been adjusted properly yet... but so far they work pretty good.

Also, on my setup, my projectors are removable... So when I get the money, I'm going to put HID projectors in there...

Also for the single bulb setup, I don't reccomend having high and low beams on at the same time...

When I get a chance to adjust the lights properly, I can let ya know, lol

Old 06-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Default RE: grill conversion worth it and any one with projectors, need feedback

ive been lookinf hard and it looks like w/ the 99+ aftermarket head lights it looks like you can simply unbolt the projector unit. I wonder if say TSX or BMW unit will pop in there w/o any needed work. I have noticed though that some of the headlights say NOT for hids, but you can but a 4300 exnon bulb in there. Isnt that an HID bulb? Also I know not to put a hid in a non hid headlight mainly b/c of the reflector and projector issue. But is there a differnce between a halogen and HID projector and is it that big of a differnce?

Old 06-14-2007, 07:24 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

There's a very big difference... The optics in a halogen projector are competely different...

The filament in a halogen buld runs like this: -

With an HID setup, you don't have a filament, you've got an electrical arc that tries to rise, so it has a curve to it, on top of running front to back, instead of left to right like halogen.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:34 PM

yea i thought that there was a bigg differnce in projectors, if i can get some feedback on if the halogen projectors in the 99+ aftermarket head lights are worth putting in. maybe ill see if the HID projectors fit in. But i dont want to spending 6-7 bux on a grill conversion and hids for nothing

Old 06-15-2007, 04:12 AM
BF Veteran

Well, there's different sizes of HID projectors, so there's some that are bound to fit, lol.

Alrighty, I've got my projectors adjust as well as I can (my passenger side bracket seems to be loose or something... probably due to my attempt to adjust too much, or installation over force, lol, have to take a closer look in the daylight...)

First pic, obviously, is lights off
Second pic, low beams (the projectors)
third pic, Highbeams
fourth pic is high and lowbeams together.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5070/CEB8995C902242839D1EE6A1C58CAB4C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5070/4227A84BA4604709BEE48B4EAED25CE8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5070/8B044B032DD34B7E9F3A0769631DAAE9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5070/4854D535F42049E6A09E8535372DE23D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-15-2007, 09:33 AM

wow that dont look to bad at all. Compared to you stock housings(i dont need a pic) was the new headlights clearly better than stock or did it give you a suttle change. Also do thouse have thatcut offthat i see on most car with projectors? Sorry for asking alot of question, not many people aroud here do work to there car or just rich and snobby and have daddy and mommy by them what ever

Old 06-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

I did the 98+ swap on my last blazer (a 97)... it's DEFINITELY worth it. The light output on the 95-97's is absolutely horrible compared to the 98+. If you do it, put MTEC 4x 9005's in your low beams as well, and do the quad beam mod and you'll be plenty happy with your light output... i am:

Old 06-15-2007, 02:30 PM

thank you much jigg for you input, yea i dont think i could go wrong doing the conversion with the hope to gain performance over style. its almost win win

Old 06-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

You're very welcome. If you need any help with the swap, let me know. It's really not that hard at all.

Quick Reply: grill conversion worth it and any one with projectors, need feedback