Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Has anybody seen this before

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 AM
CAB
Starting Member
CAB is on a distinguished road
Default Has anybody seen this before

Shim-EZE | The EZest Auto Door Hinge Fix On The Market!

Check out the videos. I may give it a try. Any Thoughts?

Old 11-18-2013, 08:06 PM
CAB
Starting Member

No thoughts from anybody?

I am going to give it a try. It's only $25.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

There's an easier way to replace the pins & bushings. He claims it takes 2 people 2 to 4 hours using a jack, if you know what you're doing. If you don't know what you're doing, toss a ratchet strap over a ceiling joist, put the window down, run the strap through the window opening and crank the ratchet. Take the weight off the hinges and remove the pins & bushings. Takes ONE person less than half an hour to replace both hinges & pins. This fixes the problem unless the hinges are elongated.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

It's not that much harder to do the job properly... Whenever I've done them, it's because the hinge pins and bushings are worn horizontally, not vertically. For minor wear, I guess this would work though.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:56 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i usually do one at a time and after removing one i will stick a screwdriver into the holes to act as the hinge while i do the other one and just support the bottom with a floor jack. i like the hanging it from the ceiling idea too. next time i may just try that.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 AM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

I set a 8' step ladder next to the door to hold it up with a ratchet strap, took longer to put the ladder away then it did to change bushings.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Not real confident in the shim eze: as Diaita mentioned, usually the problem is worn bushings & pins, not the hinge bracket, unless you wait too long to replace them.

Step ladder is a good idea too, never thought of that The hardest part of the job, (using the ratchet strap) is finding the balance point, and that only takes a few seconds. I don't care for the jack idea: besides being hard to keep the door balanced, and the jack from rolling away, if the door slips or falls, you've got bigger problems with dents and scratches. Don't have to worry about that with the strap... pull the pins and swing the entire door out of your way. If you haven't tried it, you'll be amazed how easy it is when you do.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:59 PM
CAB
Starting Member

I am thinking this may help if the bushing holes are elongated. That is the problem I have. The previous owner waited too late. I replaced the pins and bushing but that didn't solve the problem since the hinge holes are elongated. Any who I will let you all know, maybe even with pictures, what the this product does or doesn't do. I know this is an issue with a lot of blazer owners that replacing the bushings doesn't solve.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:08 PM

Cool! Please post back how it turns out. My wife's 04 has elongated holes. PO waited too long and the pin & bushing kit didn't entirely fix it. Helped, but still not right.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:45 PM
CAB
Starting Member

Well all I can say is holy crap. The pictures tell the story, especially the pinstripe. I didn't realize how bad mine was.

It actually took me about 40 minutes to figure it out and it was mainly trying to get the thing in correctly and trying to figure out which one the truck needed. Turned out to be the third smallest. I kept thinking they sent me the wrong ones but with a little persuasion with the hammer it went into place. You will have no doubt when it goes into place correctly to bend the tab. I tried the one up and the one down from the one I ended using. Once I knew what I was doing it is a less than 5 minute repair.

It does still have a little wind noise (much much better now) but I think if I adjust the striker to pull the door in a little more it will be eliminated.

If I didn't know it was installed could I tell the difference between it or a door without elongated bushing holes (factory new)?

No

Would I do it again?

Heck yes unless new bushings and pins would fix it and in my case they didn't. Wish I would have known about this before I replaced bushing and pins.

Would I recommend it?

Heck yes. I can see no ill effects using this to repair the door. Well worth $25

Attached Thumbnails Has anybody seen this before-top-preinstall-1.jpg   Has anybody seen this before-top-installed.jpg   Has anybody seen this before-preinstall-pin-stripe.jpg   Has anybody seen this before-pinstripe-installed.jpg   Has anybody seen this before-installed.jpg  

Quick Reply: Has anybody seen this before