Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Headlight swap... What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:33 AM
Starting Member
96Ls4Dr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Headlight swap... What do I need?

I've got a 96 and I want to change the headlights to the 98+ to get better lighting.

AllI need is the headlights and grill right?

Anything else before I go the the junkyard/Ebay to price them?

Old 03-24-2007, 09:39 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Headlight swap... What do I need?

I think you need the radiator core supports as well...There's probably one or two things I'm missing... But without the newer rad support... The grill and headlights have no place to mount to...

Old 03-25-2007, 03:13 AM
Starting Member
96Ls4Dr is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope thatsall I need.

Which would be better lighting wise? Diamond cut with Silverstarsor Projectors with Silverstars

Looking at all the different options I have with 98+...
Black, Clear, Chrome... Standard, diamondcut, Projector, Halo

Old 03-25-2007, 03:20 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I've never used projectors... But it seems most of the ones you can get on E-Bay have their own bulb, which I don't know what type it is...

The stockers seem to do pretty damned good... Heck, I'm still running stock bulbs for now...

Old 03-25-2007, 08:08 PM
turboxb9s is an unknown quantity at this point

I did that mod myself. I bought a 95 that was hit and converted it to the 98 style. As long as your truck has the halogen replaceable bulbs and isn't the sealed beam type headlights then all you'll need is the radiator support, grille, and headlights. The lights that are located in your front bumper will no longer be used so you may want to fill them in with bondo or something because when you go to get an inspection sticker that may become an issue. The bumper itself doesn't need to be changed. The radiator suppor is what the 98 style headlights and grille are held in by so thats why that needs to be changed. I did it all for around $150 by using the junkyard for the radiator support and ebay for the lights and grille. Good Luck!

Old 03-25-2007, 09:04 PM
BF Veteran

You could always mount a good set of fog lights in the old signal light holes...

Old 03-25-2007, 09:38 PM

Thats a good idea. I don't think it'd look too good unless you found ones that fit in there perfect. What might work well is if you could find clear lenses to replace the amber lenses and then mount fog lights behind those lenses. That'd look slick. Any idea where I could find lenses like that?

Old 03-25-2007, 09:41 PM
BF Veteran

Ebay, lol

I don't know how well the signal light housing will work as a reflector... but generally you can find lights in almost any size... The biggest one you have to worry about is the height of the light, for the width, you can always get some black plastic around it...

You'll have to fab your own brackets, most likely, though.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:49 PM

hmmm how bout buying the housings with the clear lenses off ebay and modifying the bulb socket to accept an H1 or similar style bulb. Then it'd just be a matter of wiring it up. The hole moifying the socket would probably be some surgical **** though.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:02 PM
BF Veteran

Well, the socket is actually the easy part... Just get some insulated connectors and cut/splice them into the wiring... and plug them on to the bulb...

The hard part is going to be making sure the housing stays insulated...

Quick Reply: Headlight swap... What do I need?