Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Heater fan only works on high . Switch is ok , what do i do now ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If I have more time later, I'll take a look at what might be causing the issue, but for now, I figured I'd get you the schematic.

Attached Thumbnails Heater fan only works on high . Switch is ok , what do i do now ??-92_blower_sch.gif  
Old 11-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Beginning Member
STARMAN is on a distinguished road

Then dash switch is new , fuses are good . I checked and cleaned the resistors . Then I went to a parts store and they let me borrow a new resistor to try . A new resistor did not make any difference , so I did not buy it . Im not sure what to do now .

Old 11-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could be the relay. Again, I haven't had the time to dig in and really analyze the schematic I posted earlier.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Beginning Member
STARMAN is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Problem Solved ---------------

Well , here is what happened .

After a crappy day at work , I was diving home on an alternate route . Notice a sign that said " Pull A Part " . So I decided to check it out . Huge salvage yard . All vehicles are raised up off the ground , and there is NO mud/dust ,SUPER cheap prices !!! WOW . Entire salvage yard paved everywhere . 30 day unconditional return on all parts including electrical ! So I grabbed that little silver relay box off a junked blazer ( I posted a pic a few entries back ) to see if it would help . What do ya know . $2.50 and my heater fan works on all settings now .

Now that its fixed , its time to ride !

Attached Thumbnails Heater fan only works on high . Switch is ok , what do i do now ??-pict0148.jpg   Heater fan only works on high . Switch is ok , what do i do now ??-pict0147.jpg  
Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

I was mistaken then. Glad you got it figured out!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 AM
droidxusa is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Hey guys, I've got a 2001 chevy blazer 4.3 V-6 same problem, heater fan only works on high. So far I've replaced the fan blower, the switch on the dash, and still blows only on high. I'm pretty good with doing my own repair work been wrenching on cars and trucks with my ole man since 1968. I can't figure out this fan blower I'm dumbfounded, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Peace Droidxusa,
aka Joe.

Originally Posted by STARMAN
Just some Im clear on this , here is the situation :

Heater fan settings low and medium do nothing . Hi setting runs on hi . Not all 3 settings make it run on hi . I attached pics of parts . You are saying that I need to replace the part with the twisted wires ( as pictured ) , and not the little metal box ( as pictured ) correct ?

When I unplug the thing with the twisted wires , the fan does not turn off . When I unplug the little metal box , then fan does turns off .

And if the thing with the twisted wires needs to be replaced , how in the &^$%& does that part go bad ? It looks like twisted wires , not a computer !
My problem and current situation is same as above, should I go ahead now and replace the relay. Could it be that simple of a fix, I will try this and see what happens. Thanks for any replies or suggestions.

Peace Droidxusa.

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-27-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Administrator

The vehicle in question is much older than yours, but the advice is still sound. The blower motor resistor is at fault. This is well documented on the forum as a search for "blower+motor+resistor" will show. Do some reading up. It quite easy to change out. Of course, if you have the electronic climate control (numbers around the temperature dial and not just blue/red), then you don't have a blower motor resistor pack.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The vehicle in question is much older than yours, but the advice is still sound. The blower motor resistor is at fault. This is well documented on the forum as a search for "blower+motor+resistor" will show. Do some reading up. It quite easy to change out. Of course, if you have the electronic climate control (numbers around the temperature dial and not just blue/red), then you don't have a blower motor resistor pack.
Thanks swartlkk, when I tried searching earlier today nothing was coming up even under advanced search, so I tried your suggestion above and found that many of us have had this resistor go bad.

Again thanks for listening/reading about my electrical problem. I replaced the blower relay and fan still only works on #4 speed setting, going back to advanced auto to get the resistor now will install it tomorrow. And yes my switch is just blue and red.

I'll report back tomorrow with an answer of yes the resistor was bad or no its something else.

Thanks everyone for looking at my post.

Peace droidxusa.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by droidxusa
Thanks swartlkk, when I tried searching earlier today nothing was coming up even under advanced search, so I tried your suggestion above and found that many of us have had this resistor go bad.

Again thanks for listening/reading about my electrical problem. I replaced the blower relay and fan still only works on #4 speed setting, going back to advanced auto to get the resistor now will install it tomorrow. And yes my switch is just blue and red.

I'll report back tomorrow with an answer of yes the resistor was bad or no its something else.

Thanks everyone for looking at my post.

Peace droidxusa.
Thanks for everyones suggestions!

swartlkk, kudo's to you bro my blower speeds are now working on 1,2,3 & 4 this is after replacing the blower resisitor, for the hell of it I also replaced / kept the new blower relay. It seems that the blower settings for defrost & floor have a vac leak somewhere, as I only get air blowing thru center dash vents.

Lo and behold, while looking under the hood I found a dry rotted 6" hose that wasn't plugged into anything. After reading other post's over the last few days found out that the 6" vac hose should be plugged into the vac canister under the abs.

see this thread post #9 has picture of where this vac line goes:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...no-heat-14749/

Hope this helps someone, I know how long it takes reading up & searching posts.

Now I can move onto next project, that is getting 4-wheel drive to engage from 2-wheel Hi to 4-W Hi & 4-WLo, will search for a thread with info for trouble shooting this. I only have 2-W Hi right now!

If anyone has a link to a thread please PM me or post a link for it.

Peace Droidxusa,

aka Joe.
2001 Blazer 4.3 V-6 4X4 Dig it man, Dug man.