Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Help with Dash Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Cool

Hey,

I'm having a bit of a time getting my dash gauge out. I have pulled off the dash bezel no problem and have taken out all screws or bolts holding in the dash gauge but it doesn't want to come out. It is getting stuck on the steering wheel. Any help would be appreciated! I'll put up a picture in a second. Btw, I have a 1996 blaze.

If you look in the pic, the dash gauge piece on the bottom left of the picture, it is a light color won't come over the steering wheel. How do I get this dash gauge over the steering wheel without breaking something?

No one has taken out dash gauge on a blazer without a tach? Well I can see why. It's a bunch of crap to get the thing out. I ended up having to put the dash back together without changing out the lights because I have to go somewhere early in the morning. If anyone can help me with this situation, I'll give it another go over the weekend.

Last edited by swartlkk; 06-02-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond. Rules are rules.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

does your wheel tilt? if so, did you try to tilt it to gain more access?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by 01vortec
does your wheel tilt? if so, did you try to tilt it to gain more access?
Believe me man, I tried a lot of stuff. I had to tilt the wheel in order for the dash bezel to come off. But I tilted that wheel any way it could go and that dash gauge cluster would not come out. If anyone knows about this, please give me some advice.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:00 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

thats really odd. I wasn't insulting you by saying to tilt it. Just sometimes the simplest things we forget when we're having trouble. My 01 just slides out but yours is a different style. is there any way to slide the top out first and then pull it through?

Old 06-03-2011, 02:37 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

On mine the plastic is just flexable enough that I can squeeze it through, it takes a little persuasion but it worked.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by 01vortec
thats really odd. I wasn't insulting you by saying to tilt it. Just sometimes the simplest things we forget when we're having trouble. My 01 just slides out but yours is a different style. is there any way to slide the top out first and then pull it through?
My bad too man. And you are right about looking past the simple things. I think the 95-97 and 98+ gauge cluster's are different. I saw a 98+ with the tach on youtube and thought mine would be similar, but I was mistaken. This thing is hell to get off. I'm contemplating just dropping the steering column.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Thogert
On mine the plastic is just flexable enough that I can squeeze it through, it takes a little persuasion but it worked.
It might be flexible, but I don't want to break it trying to get it off. My problem is it gets stuck on the steering column cover, that plastic 2 piece thing that goes over the steering column. I can't get it past there. You think I should just drop the column? And nice gauges man, where'd ya get em?

Old 06-03-2011, 05:52 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Oh, I took the steering column covers off. I can't find where I got the gauges, but I'll keep lookin'.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Default oh

Oh ok, that would probably make it tons easier to take that cover off. Only problem is I broke a piece off mine. How did you take the cover off?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:50 AM
BF Veteran

Haha, mine was already somewhat broken, all I had to do was take out the bottom screw and they came right off.

Quick Reply: Help with Dash Gauges