Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

hinge pins

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012 | 03:25 PM
|
Beginning Member
gswbbc is on a distinguished road
Default hinge pins

I need to replace the hinge pins in my drivers door. I was wondering if any of you have done this and did you use factory or aftermarket pins? How have the held up? Thanks

Old 06-26-2012 | 04:21 PM
Starting Member
vortec bowtie is on a distinguished road

Do the bushings to. I replaced both pins and bushings on my driver side door cause it was sagging. The old bushings were in like 3 pieces. I just used whatever pins/bushings autozone had and they seem fine. Theyve only been in for 2/3 months but so far so good

Old 06-26-2012 | 05:04 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i have used the autozone bushing and pin set to...they have held up well.
one thing when you do this have a ladder handy if you can or another way to suspend the door...it makes the job so much easier.

Old 06-29-2012 | 10:29 AM
Beginning Member
Coddrick is on a distinguished road

I went to NAPA for my hinge pins and bushings, the hardest part was finding a door spring compressor, but from previous experience I knew I wanted one. Did it with just me and another person, using a modified floor jack, and it was real quick and easy, about 4 months back and no issues.

Old 07-03-2012 | 11:42 AM
rr*bill is on a distinguished road
Default door hinge pin repair

***THX guys for notes about this - the sag is bad enough to let a little rain drip in on top, ugh. While at work, fellow blazer fan Vince saw my 2004 extreme and told me about this forum, and his experience ( Good !) with his hinge pin replacement on his 1994 blazer. He did say that the door spring compression was THE hardest part, someone mentioned a spring compression tool ? Sounds like I NEED one first....

Does autozone or napa have the spring compression tool ?

BTW, my local chevy dealer - when he did oil changes - always used to lithium grease the pins, then the dealer went out and I did not follow practice, shame on me....

THX to all here for their contributions, much more to look at. Bill*-*

Old 07-03-2012 | 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Here you go THIS is the tool you want! I used the Advanced Auto bushings and pins and they worked well. My hinge on the truck was stretched out as well so even with new bushings it would sag a bit so I drilled out the stretched hole and put one of the larger bushings in there. Still not perfect but my door closes!!!

Old 07-03-2012 | 08:33 PM
Beginning Member
Coddrick is on a distinguished road

Yes thats the part you need and it was less then $10, I would definitely try NAPA first, they knew exactly what I was talking about, and had it in stock. As for greaseing, Hanes manuel tells you to grease pins throughly before installing, with all purpose grease, and I'm sure it couldn't possibly hurt to oil them up every so many miles

Old 07-03-2012 | 08:55 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Id hate the spend money on a tool il only use once,so if any of ya wanna let me borrow it that'd be great lol. I did my drivers side last summer,ive yet to install the spring back in.

Old 07-04-2012 | 09:06 PM
rr*bill is on a distinguished road
Default ***help on door hinge pins THX THX THX

***gee, that was FAST !!! between rex and cod, I will be buying the right stuff tomorrow, and a weekend repair ?

THX SO MUCH, that was a long aggravating problem, not getting better as bearing shrinks / grinds thinner..... and I live in south jersey, but did NOT want to start with duct tape all over the rubber seals, etc.....

hahahaha THX HAPPY 4th to all, bill*-*

Old 07-04-2012 | 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Hour tops for both doors! Its really easy to do I promise.

Quick Reply: hinge pins