Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

How can I make my Blazer Dog friendly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:03 AM
kikkegek is on a distinguished road
Default How can I make my Blazer Dog friendly?

The topic sounds funny, but please let me explain:

We just bought our 2001 Blazer LT. and love it.

Then when we went for awalk with our dogs, three big shepads, we noticed that it is hard getting in and out of the back of the car.

The oldest, now 14 years, even fell out two times now.

I am looking for solutions to solve this for our dogs.

I already wanted to lowerthe car, but my girlfriend says that is not an option.

please help!

Attached Thumbnails How can I make my Blazer Dog friendly?-chevrolet-blazer-4.3-v6-aut-00001.jpg   How can I make my Blazer Dog friendly?-me_and_my_two_swiss_shepards.jpg  

Last edited by kikkegek; 09-02-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I'm guessing the back seats are down when the dogs are in the truck (beautiful dogs btw). I'd say get a hold of some two 2x4's, cut them to six feet in length, then cut them in half and put a hinge (preferably sturdy ones, not hinges from cabinets.) them.

Then get a sheet of ply-wood, and cut that down so you can screw it to the 2 2x4's. You just made a 6 foot ramp that'll fold down to 3 feet and fit in the truck... I'd suggest only making it about 2 feet wide.

I thought about doing this for my Golden Retriever, but she hasn't gotten into my Blazer since the last time I had to physically pick her up and put her in through the rear lol... an 80lbs squirming dog is dificult to pick up off the ground to say the least. She just rides in my mother's Cavalier now.

The only question is, are your dogs too timid to climb something like that? Or can you bribe them? (TREAT?! OMG TREAT!... lol)

Old 09-02-2009, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by oktain
I'm guessing the back seats are down when the dogs are in the truck (beautiful dogs btw). I'd say get a hold of some two 2x4's, cut them to six feet in length, then cut them in half and put a hinge (preferably sturdy ones, not hinges from cabinets.) them.

Then get a sheet of ply-wood, and cut that down so you can screw it to the 2 2x4's. You just made a 6 foot ramp that'll fold down to 3 feet and fit in the truck... I'd suggest only making it about 2 feet wide.

I thought about doing this for my Golden Retriever, but she hasn't gotten into my Blazer since the last time I had to physically pick her up and put her in through the rear lol... an 80lbs squirming dog is dificult to pick up off the ground to say the least. She just rides in my mother's Cavalier now.

The only question is, are your dogs too timid to climb something like that? Or can you bribe them? (TREAT?! OMG TREAT!... lol)
nope, they do not get in through the side and the back seats are up.

So I am really looking for a solution form the back.

thanks for the compliment. They listen very good and the middle one, 3 years now, will jump in if I tell her too. The youngest, 12 months, will put his front feet on the hatch. We can then lift him in. We need to pick up the oldest, 14 years, because she is just too old!

I live in the netherlands and we park the cars behind each other in the streeth. With very little space behind it. So I need to solve this with little space behind the car, maybe 2-3 feet.

would it be possible to just have the rear replaced by a liftgate version?

Last edited by kikkegek; 09-02-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:32 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kikkegek
nope, they do not get in through the side and the back seats are up.

So I am really looking for a solution form the back.

thanks for the compliment. They listen very good and the middle one, 3 years now, will jump in if I tell her too. The youngest, 12 months, will put his front feet on the hatch. We can then lift him in. We need to pick up the oldest, 14 years, because she is just too old!

I live in the netherlands and we park the cars behind each other in the streeth. With very little space behind it. So I need to solve this with little space behind the car, maybe 2-3 feet.
My solution was for the back, but I didn't realize your situation with the parking... Maybe some sort of ramp, similar to what I was talking about, but that would hold itself up like a step ladder, but still fold after... I may have an idea... I'll get a hold of my old autocad program when I get home and draw something up for you that might just do the trick, dimensions and all.
How much room between the tailgate and back seats?

As for a lift gate, I'm sure you could do it, but it would be costly and alot of work. With that picture, go compare the differences, for one you need the latch post at the bottom...

Do you have easier access to lumber or metal?

Last edited by oktain; 09-02-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by oktain
My solution was for the back, but I didn't realize your situation with the parking... Maybe some sort of ramp, similar to what I was talking about, but that would hold itself up like a step ladder, but still fold after... I may have an idea... I'll get a hold of my old autocad program when I get home and draw something up for you that might just do the trick, dimensions and all.
How much room between the tailgate and back seats?

As for a lift gate, I'm sure you could do it, but it would be costly and alot of work. With that picture, go compare the differences, for one you need the latch post at the bottom...

Do you have easier access to lumber or metal?
apreciate the help!
lumber by the way

Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Just had to pop in and say you have a pair of beautiful dogs!! they're amazing.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:27 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Nice dogs... So i understand your back hatch is the two purpose one, where the top goes up and the bottom goes down? If it were the other one I would suggest ordering a hitch step...
Someting like this... but idk if it will work
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...p-p-16713.html

Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by wlorton
Nice dogs... So i understand your back hatch is the two purpose one, where the top goes up and the bottom goes down? If it were the other one I would suggest ordering a hitch step...
Someting like this... but idk if it will work
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...p-p-16713.html
yes, it is a 2 purpose one version.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kikkegek
yes, it is a 2 purpose one version.
AKA tailgate version.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:19 AM
BF Veteran

Unfortunately with the tailgate (as wlorton implied) the hitch step would be useless. What time zone are you in kikkegek? I won't have it done till maybe 8:00 ET at the earliest and I'm sure you'll be snoring away in bed lol.

Quick Reply: How can I make my Blazer Dog friendly?