Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint, Body, & Interior (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/)
-   -   How to paint rims? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/how-paint-rims-24723/)

Blazers.B.Kewl 11-09-2008 09:45 PM

How to paint rims?

The lacquer on my current rims is starting to come off and it makes my wheels look like crap. I would like to paint my wheels or something along those lines anyways and maybe even the brakes. I dont have a clue how though. I dont know where to start, how to do it, anything. I have the stock aluminum wheels. Any help is very appreciated! If you need more info let me know, as I don't know what you would need to know. Thanks

salvy 11-10-2008 06:43 AM

RE: How to paint rims?

Mine were the same, so I re-finished them with w/ silver BMW paint, easy to do, get a quart of -Goof Off, gloves, rags, and a respirator. Wipe them down real good w the Goof Off, it will soften/remove the laquer on them. Tape the tires up around the rim area. Get yourself 3 spray cans of WURTH wheel paint and 3 cans of WURTH wheel laquer. Spray several light coats then the laquer. It leaves a great finish, but remember to have a good respirator if you value your lungs !! This stuff is rock hard durable wnen it dries. Good luck..

Blazers.B.Kewl 11-10-2008 02:32 PM

What temperature would i need to do this with? Like, Im in MAss, and it's not been over 50 for a long time
would that matter? And if that does, then how about if i did it inside of a garage? (not heated)

salvy 11-10-2008 02:45 PM

Well I did mine in the garage in the summer, but, as I say that stuff is wicked (fumes) get a big fan blowing it out, it should be at least 50* and the set up/recoat time will be a little longer though, but i'll say this you won't find a better product than this Wurth Wheel paint, the finish and durability is great. Just follow the directions. Get a GOOD RESPIRATOR.

Blazers.B.Kewl 11-10-2008 02:50 PM

hmm. As long as it can still be done up here, I'm happy. Although I plan on doing multiple colors. So, I guess it would just take longer. Spray the entire thing black, then the little triangle things silver and then the lug holes and 4X4 red. probably just a pain in the ass and take a long time...but it think it would be worth it. What kind of respirator are you talking about btw? Like maybe an example? Thanks!

salvy 11-10-2008 03:01 PM

Go to Home Depot and tell them your spraying laquer and they show you the one you'll need. Good Luck.

Blazers.B.Kewl 11-10-2008 03:14 PM

And how would I go about painting the brakes? or just not worth it? and how long would it take for those wheels to dry completely?

salvy 11-10-2008 03:20 PM

Get a good quality caliper paint if you want to. As far dry time all gonna depend on temp and humidity.

djdrew010 11-10-2008 07:23 PM

I used the dulpi-color caliper paint on mine. I got the old stuff, the kind you brush on, not the spray kind. It went really easy I just didn't take too much time on prep. When you do your calipers make sure you wire wheel them, if you don't have a wire wheel the I would scrub them good with a wire brush. Remember painting is something like 95% prep work, If your prep job is crappy your paint job is going to be crappy.

Blazers.B.Kewl 11-10-2008 09:26 PM

Ya I saw a video of the dupli-color stuff. It looks like a good method. I'm gonna talk to a few people befre I just go out and do it. I may have to wait until next summer.