Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

How to paint rims?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to paint rims?

The lacquer on my current rims is starting to come off and it makes my wheels look like crap. I would like to paint my wheels or something along those lines anyways and maybe even the brakes. I dont have a clue how though. I dont know where to start, how to do it, anything. I have the stock aluminum wheels. Any help is very appreciated! If you need more info let me know, as I don't know what you would need to know. Thanks

Old 11-10-2008, 06:43 AM
salvy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How to paint rims?

Mine were the same, so I re-finished them with w/ silver BMW paint, easy to do, get a quart of -Goof Off, gloves, rags, and a respirator. Wipe them down real good w the Goof Off, it will soften/remove the laquer on them. Tape the tires up around the rim area. Get yourself 3 spray cans of WURTH wheel paint and 3 cans of WURTH wheel laquer. Spray several light coats then the laquer. It leaves a great finish, but remember to have a good respirator if you value your lungs !! This stuff is rock hard durable wnen it dries. Good luck..

Old 11-10-2008, 02:32 PM

What temperature would i need to do this with? Like, Im in MAss, and it's not been over 50 for a long time
would that matter? And if that does, then how about if i did it inside of a garage? (not heated)

Old 11-10-2008, 02:45 PM

Well I did mine in the garage in the summer, but, as I say that stuff is wicked (fumes) get a big fan blowing it out, it should be at least 50* and the set up/recoat time will be a little longer though, but i'll say this you won't find a better product than this Wurth Wheel paint, the finish and durability is great. Just follow the directions. Get a GOOD RESPIRATOR.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:50 PM

hmm. As long as it can still be done up here, I'm happy. Although I plan on doing multiple colors. So, I guess it would just take longer. Spray the entire thing black, then the little triangle things silver and then the lug holes and 4X4 red. probably just a pain in the *** and take a long time...but it think it would be worth it. What kind of respirator are you talking about btw? Like maybe an example? Thanks!

Old 11-10-2008, 03:01 PM

Go to Home Depot and tell them your spraying laquer and they show you the one you'll need. Good Luck.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:14 PM

And how would I go about painting the brakes? or just not worth it? and how long would it take for those wheels to dry completely?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:20 PM

Get a good quality caliper paint if you want to. As far dry time all gonna depend on temp and humidity.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:23 PM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used the dulpi-color caliper paint on mine. I got the old stuff, the kind you brush on, not the spray kind. It went really easy I just didn't take too much time on prep. When you do your calipers make sure you wire wheel them, if you don't have a wire wheel the I would scrub them good with a wire brush. Remember painting is something like 95% prep work, If your prep job is crappy your paint job is going to be crappy.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:26 PM

Ya I saw a video of the dupli-color stuff. It looks like a good method. I'm gonna talk to a few people befre I just go out and do it. I may have to wait until next summer.