Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

How to take off rear speakers in 2002 Blazer 2wd LS.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Beginning Member
02Goldie_Loks is on a distinguished road
Default How to take off rear speakers in 2002 Blazer 2 door LS.

Can't really get a thorough description on where to start and how to "pull" this HUGE plastic cover off. I also plan on putting a lot of double stick felt tape along the edge to quiet things up for good.
Anybody have any or seen a thread with solid info?
Thanks !!!

Last edited by 02Goldie_Loks; 08-17-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:08 PM
Ricco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 02Goldie_Loks
Can't really get a thorough description on where to start and how to "pull" this HUGE plastic cover off. I also plan on putting a lot of double stick felt tape along the edge to quiet things up for good.
Anybody have any or seen a thread with solid info?
Thanks !!!
Where are ur rear speaker located? On the doors or back side of truck?

Old 08-17-2015, 10:40 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Ricco
Where are ur rear speaker located? On the doors or back side of truck?
Sorry about that. I have the 2002 2 door

Old 08-17-2015, 10:48 PM
Ricco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 02Goldie_Loks
Sorry about that. I have the 2002 2 door
My truck is 4 doors I'm not familiar with the rear deck speaker removal , wish I could of help you

Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

the rear speakers are rivetted in. Just have to drill/grind off rivets.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:41 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

Here comes the long post, explaining what you need. (I even got out my fancy key board) To get to the rear speakers, first you need to go to the part store and get a specialized torques bit. I believe I've used a T47 before but it was a little small so maybe a T50. Second, you need to go out to your car and pop the little plastic cover off the top seat belt anchor and make sure the bit you got fits snugly. After you get the right bit, you're going to need to remove the bolt that's holding the top anchor in. You'll probably need a decently long breaker bar. After that's off you'll need to remove the little hanger hook above the rear window and open the rear window. On the passenger side, you'll also have to remove the handle on the B pillar. The best way is with a nut driver or small socket. I want to say its a 8mm or 10mm but I'm not positive. After all that is taken loose the rest of the plastic is held on by clips. A gentle, yet forceful pull will get the plastic trim loose and you'll be ready to get to the speaker. I've always just pulled the plastic piece far enough back to allow access to the speaker without fully removing it, but be aware that there are other screws holding it on at some point near the back and if you pull it too far it will break. It's best to have a buddy to hold it back while you work with the speaker or find some way to hold the plastic back. I've used a long rope before and tied it to the front of the plastic and the pulled it back far enough to get to everything and then just wrapped the rope around the headrest off the opposite side of the car. It leaves a small obstacle to move around, but it's better than nothing. After you're done with everything you just put whatever you took off back on. It would probably be best to use some sort of locktite on the seat belt bolt, but I haven't and I haven't noticed the bolt coming out or loosening up in any way. That's basically how you get to the rear speakers. It takes a little time and patience and you'll probably have a little bit of beat up hands after you're done from trying to work around the trim, but the sound quality enhancement is beyond worth the effort put in to replacing them yourself. Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to reply or PM me.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:18 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by lazyboyjake
Here comes the long post, explaining what you need. (I even got out my fancy key board) To get to the rear speakers, first you need to go to the part store and get a specialized torques bit. I believe I've used a T47 before but it was a little small so maybe a T50. Second, you need to go out to your car and pop the little plastic cover off the top seat belt anchor and make sure the bit you got fits snugly. After you get the right bit, you're going to need to remove the bolt that's holding the top anchor in. You'll probably need a decently long breaker bar. After that's off you'll need to remove the little hanger hook above the rear window and open the rear window. On the passenger side, you'll also have to remove the handle on the B pillar. The best way is with a nut driver or small socket. I want to say its a 8mm or 10mm but I'm not positive. After all that is taken loose the rest of the plastic is held on by clips. A gentle, yet forceful pull will get the plastic trim loose and you'll be ready to get to the speaker. I've always just pulled the plastic piece far enough back to allow access to the speaker without fully removing it, but be aware that there are other screws holding it on at some point near the back and if you pull it too far it will break. It's best to have a buddy to hold it back while you work with the speaker or find some way to hold the plastic back. I've used a long rope before and tied it to the front of the plastic and the pulled it back far enough to get to everything and then just wrapped the rope around the headrest off the opposite side of the car. It leaves a small obstacle to move around, but it's better than nothing. After you're done with everything you just put whatever you took off back on. It would probably be best to use some sort of locktite on the seat belt bolt, but I haven't and I haven't noticed the bolt coming out or loosening up in any way. That's basically how you get to the rear speakers. It takes a little time and patience and you'll probably have a little bit of beat up hands after you're done from trying to work around the trim, but the sound quality enhancement is beyond worth the effort put in to replacing them yourself. Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to reply or PM me.
Thank you so much!! I'll keep in touch. Thank again!!!

Old 08-19-2015, 01:42 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

No problem, glad to help.