Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

HOWTO: Factory Looking Valet/Remote Start Switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HOWTO: Factory Looking Valet/Remote Start Switch

So I was trying to come up with a way to have my valet switch and remote starter cutoff switch right out in the open, but with out looking tacky!

here is my solution:
On a 2nd gen blazer ( mine is a 96' ) there is a panel on the left of the drivers side dash. it has the lights, washers, defoger controls.
But, it has ( usually ) one "blank" spot. So heres what we do.
youll need to aquire a duplicate washer switch and defoger switch.and a tiny pushbutton microswitch (spst momentary, can get at radioshack).
then take the face off the defoger switch pop the button out.
do the same with the washer switch.
now put the washer button in the defoger face.
now take the washer switch case and guts, and remove the lightbulb assembly, put the microswitch in the lightbulb hole. then youll need to make an extension for your microswitch.
i cut up and used the lightbulb blue standoff piece and heat shrinked it to the head of my microswitch.
now re-assemble the washer switch with the defogger face that has the washer button in it.
find an led that will fit the fogger led hole or shave one down, wire it up, and poke wires out of a hole u make in the bottom of the switch case.

wire your remote LED wire to the LED wires you installed in your switch.
wire your cuttoff switch wires to the two (connected when on) terminals of the original wiper switch.
WARNING: be carfull not to connect the old lightbulb terminals as they are now grounded together by the body of the microswitch.
wire your valet to the microswitches terminals.

poof, now you have a really stock looking valet/cutoff.

I also chose to paint the switch grey so its not confusing and looks normal.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:41 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Factory Looking Valet/Remote Start Switch

Why would you want the valet switch in a easy to reach spot...

Old 01-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Why not? If it was inconspicuous as to its function, who would know?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I suppose so...I was assuming he was mounting the valet switch that comes with the system....which are very unique looking and easily identifiable.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:20 PM

on my RSI havta use the valet to program it. alota button pushing, so I thought it would be cool to hide it in the open. Ill post pics when I get it al tidyed up.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:48 PM
BF Veteran

Any aftermarket system uses the valet switch to re-program. Thats kinda the problem ive got with mine. Previous owner put a security system in, but I have yet to find the switch. I cant order a new remote because I cant program it. Boo..

Waitin on the pics

Old 01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Starting Member
volfan4 is an unknown quantity at this point

This might help you, This is the switch that goes in that empty spot.

link to fog light switch
Its not cheap though...$27 at Oreillys Auto Parts.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:45 PM

Also you can grab the switches (not like one above) from a junkyard theye are a dime a dozen. half the point of this mod is to save money.

switches are in pics below, ill try to get a pic of the microswitch inside for you guys later.

Her are some pics:

essentially your hiding the remote starter valet switch INSIDE the washer switch, were the lightbulb post goes. so when u press it over to the left its actually pressing the valet switch inside. then default position is on, and you can rock it to the right to disable your remote start, like if your going to work on your truck!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 PM
BF Veteran

Oh I like that idea. Good mod

Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM

Thanks! These forums are awsome! just wanted to give something back! Im going to try to find a blue "flat" led for mine.

I also had the "mystery" box in my truck when I baught it, it was a "bulldog", I just scraped it out and got this new system to put in. I will get more close up pics in about a week proly, gotta go do homework for now, lol

Quick Reply: HOWTO: Factory Looking Valet/Remote Start Switch