Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:50 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road
Talking Ideas

Hey everyone,

So recently I've got a couple of ideas into my head that i can't stop thinking about and wanted some advice/other ideas.

First off, i have a 2001 Red ZR2, its exactly like the icon for this website. My first think that is bothering me is the trim piece around the rear side window, it has become very rough and lost its gloss finish, what can i do about this to return it to its original quality.

Second, i have been considering painting the rims of my truck flat black (you may have seen my other thread). I am getting BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's and think it would probably be a cool look that wouldn't cost very much. Any opinions on this?

Third, i have been thinking about "smoking" my head and taillights does anyone know if this is against the law in Michigan, i doubt it is i just want to make sure. But, how do you go about doing this?

Fourth, i wanted to paint the grill a flat black also to go along with the rims. How do you pull this off so that you can paint it. I would also be repainting the front bumper at the same time because it is chipped like no other. How challenging is this and what does it require?

Fifth, i want to repaint all of my fender flairs because they all have become faded and don't look very good. Do you think these would look good black also, and if so flat or shinny? How do you get these off to paint? or do you just leave them on and tape around them?

Sixth, i would like to get the metal guards for the taillights but i have no idea how much they cost or even what they are called. Also, how do you mount them, how challenging is it?

Seventh, my rear tire carried has begun to rust and i want to stop this. Would removing it and sanding it down and repainting it solve this problem? How hard is it to take it off and put it back on?

Eighth, i'm considering getting a brush guard for my blazer. I would want one that wraps around the headlights with two lights mounted on it in the center. Any ideas and what might the price range be?

Ninth, the seals in the door crack that are visible from the outside are cracked pretty bad. Is there any way to replace these that doesn't involve pulling the entire window assembly off? how much might the replacements cost?

Tenth, I've been considering putting a basket on the top and mounting four lights to it. How hard is it to wire the lights and attach the basket if i have the roof rack? How much would this cost?

Eleventh, the front tow hooks don't look so great any more and are beginning to rust. Do those just bolt on so i could take them off paint them and put them right back on?

Twelfth, I've heard about shackles for these things, what are they and what do they do? how much do they cost?

Thirteenth, i want some more power out of the engine but i don't know anything i can do to get it. Does anyone have some suggestions and how much they cost?

Fourteenth, Ive been considering painting several interior parts such as the dash piece, plastic pieces around the doorhandles, plastic pieces around the window control, panels of overhead compartments. I was thinking of painting all these red how does everyone think this would look? How would i paint these, sand them to rough them up a bit, a primer then base coat then clear coat maybe?

Well, i think i have said enough for this thread for now =p. If anyone has any other ideas of how to make my blazer look even better please post them, also anything you have done to yours. Remember you dont have to answer everything any small bit is helpful =). I'm just sixteen so i need alot of help on learning this field but i love working on my blazer and making the best out of it, so please pitch in and give me ideas on how to do it the RIGHT way not the cheap way.

Thanks a ton Everyone,
BlazerGuy2001

Last edited by BlazerGuy2001; 11-22-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:38 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Wow! You don't want much do you? LOL

Just trade it for a black truck like Kiwi's! LOL j/k. Then drop in a V8, 6" suspension lift, couple inch body lift & you're all ready to roll.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:49 PM

Psshhhh i like the contrast of the red on black

Old 11-23-2009, 12:55 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001
a whole crap load of ideas!!!
1) sand it down and clear coat it. OR sand it down and use "back to black" either way = you FTW
2) i love black rims and a LOT of guys have gone that route over the years this forum archives. It will look bad ***.

3) says nothing about illegal as long as the lights still shine the proper color and the reflectors are still in place. to smoke it you can buy the spray on tint for headlights at an autoparts place

4) Pop the hood. now carefully poke around at the edges until you lay eyes on one of the legs that pokes from your grille to the radiator support. you will notice a small metal pressure clip, now just pull gently outward and work yourway from center to one side then to the other. BAM its off, but dont yank like hell, you will have to pop your marker lights free before it will come all the way off. Sand and pain as per usual. i assume you want to paint the bumper to match the rest of the paint (i.e. return to the original look) if that is the case you will need a can of matching gm paint (use the sticker in your glove box to find the paint number at the bottom). Now sand her down and patiently apply a series of LIGHT coats to the bumper off the truck. if you take your time it will turn out nicely.
and i will stop there. you know 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, can be found after 15 second of googling or searching the forum....

as for 11) talk to Sisk, he is so good at taking care of the Tow Hooks, he has volunteered his time to any member that needs them done. Just PM him and title your message "Painted Tow Hooks"

12) $50 on ebay for +2". the replace you stock shackles which simply hook the back side of your leaf spring to the bottom of your frame forming a double hinged joint.

13, 14, again search.

i played along enough to show you that we are here to help and have a good time, but really try searching around for a day or two and you will be blown away by the knowledge and experience shared here.

Welcome to Blazer Forum.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:56 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Hey everyone,

So recently I've got a couple of ideas into my head that i can't stop thinking about and wanted some advice/other ideas.

First off, i have a 2001 Red ZR2, its exactly like the icon for this website. My first think that is bothering me is the trim piece around the rear side window, it has become very rough and lost its gloss finish, what can i do about this to return it to its original quality.

<just paint the trim piece, tape off around it and spray it

Second, i have been considering painting the rims of my truck flat black (you may have seen my other thread). I am getting BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's and think it would probably be a cool look that wouldn't cost very much. Any opinions on this?

<spray paint

Third, i have been thinking about "smoking" my head and taillights does anyone know if this is against the law in Michigan, i doubt it is i just want to make sure. But, how do you go about doing this?

<its illegal, just depends if the cops in your area let you get by with it or not

Fourth, i wanted to paint the grill a flat black also to go along with the rims. How do you pull this off so that you can paint it. I would also be repainting the front bumper at the same time because it is chipped like no other. How challenging is this and what does it require?

<sand it, paint it, clear it

Fifth, i want to repaint all of my fender flairs because they all have become faded and don't look very good. Do you think these would look good black also, and if so flat or shinny? How do you get these off to paint? or do you just leave them on and tape around them?

<its your truck do what you want and don't worry about what others think. They should be held on by screws under the fender

Sixth, i would like to get the metal guards for the taillights but i have no idea how much they cost or even what they are called. Also, how do you mount them, how challenging is it?

<no clue, I want some for my firstgen but they don't make em

Seventh, my rear tire carried has begun to rust and i want to stop this. Would removing it and sanding it down and repainting it solve this problem? How hard is it to take it off and put it back on?

< yes, as far as how hard depends on your mechanical skills.

Eighth, i'm considering getting a brush guard for my blazer. I would want one that wraps around the headlights with two lights mounted on it in the center. Any ideas and what might the price range be?

<unless you find a used one I would look into the 200+ range

Ninth, the seals in the door crack that are visible from the outside are cracked pretty bad. Is there any way to replace these that doesn't involve pulling the entire window assembly off? how much might the replacements cost?

< you talking about the door seals or window seals?

Tenth, I've been considering putting a basket on the top and mounting four lights to it. How hard is it to wire the lights and attach the basket if i have the roof rack? How much would this cost?

<its not that hard to mount, wiring depends on your skills. new I think they run 150+

Eleventh, the front tow hooks don't look so great any more and are beginning to rust. Do those just bolt on so i could take them off paint them and put them right back on?

<yes

Twelfth, I've heard about shackles for these things, what are they and what do they do? how much do they cost?

<they lift the rear buy pushing the body higher from the spring. 25+

Thirteenth, i want some more power out of the engine but i don't know anything i can do to get it. Does anyone have some suggestions and how much they cost?

<search the forum. too many topics already

Fourteenth, Ive been considering painting several interior parts such as the dash piece, plastic pieces around the doorhandles, plastic pieces around the window control, panels of overhead compartments. I was thinking of painting all these red how does everyone think this would look? How would i paint these, sand them to rough them up a bit, a primer then base coat then clear coat maybe?

<search, been covered. Personally I think red would look too ricer

Well, i think i have said enough for this thread for now =p. If anyone has any other ideas of how to make my blazer look even better please post them, also anything you have done to yours. Remember you dont have to answer everything any small bit is helpful =). I'm just sixteen so i need alot of help on learning this field but i love working on my blazer and making the best out of it, so please pitch in and give me ideas on how to do it the RIGHT way not the cheap way.

Thanks a ton Everyone,
BlazerGuy2001

good luck

Old 11-23-2009, 01:04 AM
jigger is on a distinguished road

Shackles are what hold the back of the rear springs to the frame and allow the spring to flex. It's an inexpencive lift. Springs with more arc in them is better. Also you can do a shackle flip but that is a little more involved.

If you are painting plastic parts it is hard to get a good bond on the paint. Rust-o-lium or krylon make rattle can paint that is formulated to paint over plastic. Just follow the directions on the can. You can find it at Home Depo or Lowe's.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:06 AM
BF Veteran

DJ: priceless!

Old 11-23-2009, 01:08 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by jigger
If you are painting plastic parts it is hard to get a good bond on the paint.
SEM vinyl paint FTW! just degrease/prep and paint. holds on like a champ and flexes.

Last edited by ABN31B; 11-23-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:32 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Hey everyone,

Thanks a ton Everyone,
BlazerGuy2001
I'll chime in with my thoughts too:

1. The trim piece on 2drs has to be painted in place. You can tape it off, sand it down, prime, re-paint and clear coat to return to it's original state.

2. Go for painting the rims. I did mine (as you asked be about it earlier) and they look awesome. I think they look a hell of a lot better then stock...

3. DO NOT "smoke" your headlights. BAD idea and illegal EVERYWHERE. You can smoke your front corners and tails (as I did) but you will have to be careful. As neo pointed out it's illegal everywhere, it just depends on how the cops are. I've never had a problem up here but I know of a few members that have run into problems with the cops. If you do decide to do it use VHT nightshade.

4. The grille is just clipped in with crappy plastic pressure clips (from what I remember..there may be a bolt or two, but you'll know as soon as you start pulling). You just have to take your headlights and corners off, then pull away. I just sanded mine down, primed and painted.

5. Shiny IMO.

6. If you're talking about the taillight "brush guards" that are on my truck they are extremely easy to install. They just use the existing screws for the tail lights and go in between the tails and the body. Good luck trying to find a set though. I haven't seen then anywhere and I know a few people have been looking for them. I bought the truck with them on and I've only ever seen 1 truck with the same ones in town, and only one other member on the forum has them (and they're not the same as mine). I'm not sure they even make them anymore. Check ebay though.

7. Yes, repainting will solve your rust problem. Expect it to come back though, they always rust. I plan on undercoating mine. I'm just going to do it with it on the truck...probably the easiest.

8. anywhere from 120 for a cheap used one upwards to 500.

9. Not sure...

10. Wiring is the easy part. You just have to run wires down to a switch inside the truck and have a power source running to the battery. The basket would just mount to the existing roof rack. I'm not sure on price but I'm guessing the baskets aren't cheap. You can get a set of decent off road lights for ~$50 for a pair. A good set will run your 75-100 for a pair.

11. The tow hooks are bolted on with 2 bolts right under the front. See below pic:

12. They lift the rear of the truck only. You need to crank the tbars to raise the front as well. There is LOADS of info about them on the forum. Just do a quick search for it or check out the lift tech board and you will find your answers..

13. Easiest and fastest was for a few extra HP is to add a cold air intake with a good quality air filter. Regular tune ups is always a good idea too. Beyond that. search the forum. The engine board would be a good place to look. This has been covered at length quite a bit on the forum

14. I agree with neo. I think painting interior pieces looks terrible...especially in something bright and flashy like red. But this is your truck remember, so do what you want with it. There are a number of people on the forum that have their interior pieces painted (Deezy Steez is one that comes to might right off the top of my head). Do a search for it and you'll see plenty of examples.

Hope that answers everything. Just a suggestion, but next time run a quick search before asking so many questions. Almost all of your questions have been answered and discussed at length numerous times on the forum (they're all fairly basic questions)....a lot within my own build thread which I directed you to last night lol. Just take your time and read around the forum as chances are if you've thought of it someone has either done it or asked about it before . If you have anymore questions just let me know. And remember, this is YOUR truck. Not mine, no anyone else's of the forum. Do with it as you please...and as long as you're happy with it then it doesn't matter what I think or anyone on the forum thinks. Just remember you need to post lots of pics of the process and finished product when you do start moding and maybe even start up your own build thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:23 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm sorry alot of this can easily be found either on bf or google but I wanted it in one centralized place =D. I'm thinking alot of these "upgrades" shouldn't be very expensive which is great because I have like no money. If anyone has ideas of where to buy some of this stuff please post it up

Quick Reply: Ideas