Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

lambos anyone?em?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 05:42 PM
mikeywaynebygod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: lambos anyone?em?

thanks for the info. looks like they're alot easier to install and alot cheaper too.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:46 PM
xtucking22s is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: mikeywaynebygod

thanks for the info. looks like they're alot easier to install and alot cheaper too.
your welcome. Yes its a lot "easier" but for a 4 door you really need to do all 4 doors or just dont bother at all cuz it will look dumb with just the front 2 shaved. I dont know about cheaper unless you do your own body work cuz to get someone to put a filler plate over the old handle hole, weld it in, grind it down, smooth it out, prime it, paint it, color blend it, it ends up costing a lot. your basically repainting 4 doors. I bet shaving 4 door handles ends up costing more then lambos(assuming you do the lambos your self, and pay someone for the body work for the shaved door handles)

Old 12-05-2006, 07:39 PM

well, i saw a post on blazinlow where a guy didn't weld the filler plates on. he used something else, i think epoxy something. it looked good and he said it held up well.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: mikeywaynebygod

well, i saw a post on blazinlow where a guy didn't weld the filler plates on. he used something else, i think epoxy something. it looked good and he said it held up well.
wow definitily dont do that. but either way you still need to paint it and thats the expensive part

Old 12-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Actually some of the sheet metal adhesives are now stronger than the sheet metal itself when used properly. I have been to more than a few Loctite workshops (we use a bunch of their products) and I was amazed at how strong some of their adhesives actually are. Not to mention the newer body fillers hold up much better than what used to be used.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:56 PM

i think i'm just gonna save my 1500 smackeroos and wait 'till something good comes along...like a 350 or something like that.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Actually some of the sheet metal adhesives are now stronger than the sheet metal itself when used properly. I have been to more than a few Loctite workshops (we use a bunch of their products) and I was amazed at how strong some of their adhesives actually are. Not to mention the newer body fillers hold up much better than what used to be used.
ya, saw an episode on "TRUCKS" I think where they did that for cab corners and or a rocker panel, no welding. But it might be just as good but whatever. My point was that it wont cost any less to do the non welding route due to the fact that the paint is what costs a lot when shaving door handles.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh definitely, no question that the paint is the most expensive part, but if you can do it without a welder, that opens things up to a LOT more people. DIY the filling and surface prep and save even more.

Heck, I may use adhesive in the exposed areas when I hang the new rear quarters on my Chevelle just because there is no chance of warping the sheet metal. I'll still weld any non-exposed areas.