Minor Rust Area Repair - Page 2 - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:22 AM
Beginning Member

STIgary is on a distinguished road

I recently acquired a 78 k5 that needs some restoration. It's got a lot of rust that will need to be cut out and bondo'd or welded on and repaired. Is there a process or product for this? My other concern is the underbody of the blazer. Most of the components of the frame are still intact and solid but have a lot of surface rust. I'm thinking it would be wise to treat the rust with something. I found a product called Black Star rust converter that I may try. Does anyone know anything about it or of anything better? Thanks

link to said product
http://www.mrochem.com/BlackStar-Rust-Converter.php
Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Beginning Member

Wezo2 is on a distinguished road

Ive used a product called Rust Mort made by SEM. It is great for restorations and as a guy that is in the trade I really recommend this product.

Take a look at this link
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/f...val/index.html

Last edited by Wezo2; 08-18-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old 02-22-2011, 03:20 PM

JohnEBlaze is on a distinguished road

i've always had good luck with por 15....on areas that you cant take down to bare metal.. its a good preventer to keep rust from spreading
Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Beginning Member

CanadianaBlazer is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I have a small 2 inch area of rust directly behind my rear passenger door, ... spring project!

Last edited by CanadianaBlazer; 12-14-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:40 AM

DiffBuster is on a distinguished road

This is all great information. Thank you all very much. My Blazer is still solid but starting to lose paint on the rockers and bottom of the doors. I'm thinking about using bedliner on the above mentioned areas, actually across the whole bottom of the outside, as well as the bottom of the inside of the doors and the thresh holds. Seeing as how some of you are Tradesmen and actually know what you are doing; any thoughts on using bedliner for this? Would the prep process be the same? Is spray- can bedliner just as dependable as what you would get if it was done at a body shop? I had a quote done and they wanted $1,200.00. I understand the amount of work involved and think that sounds fair(kind of). Trouble is; I would really like to do all of this myself. It's MY Blazer, know what I mean? If I can do it for a lot less than that, it would leave more $$ for other modifications. Or, is the bedliner thing a bad idea? Any experience or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Beginning Member

AGodlyCanuck is on a distinguished road

I saw a comment about Rust Converters?

I would just like to say that yeah, the do work... surprisingly well...
Just try not to get it on your skin...

It worked for me... Used it and did the rest of my work, had my car inspected it and it passed.

https://imgur.com/a/lXZPb