Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Need help with my tail gate.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Question Need help with my tail gate.

Hi I have a 96 Jimmy with the electric lock in the back door and I cant get it to open.Is there a way to remove it without having to go from the inside and take the plastic panels off.The switch is already out I was thinking of drilling a hold to get to the mechanical mechnism and see if I can open it with a screw driver if possible.Or the next option do I have to repace the switch.Thanks.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:17 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

if you want to drill a hole, that is your choice, then you have a hole to fix, or you could just go from the inside, and then trouble shoot.
drilling a hole you run the risk of the hole being in the wrong area ect.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Question

I only want to drill a hole if I know forsure Im going to be able to open it from that way.If I dont have to take apart the panels off the door from the inside I would like to avoid it if possible.My back windows are tinted and its difficult to see in the back even with light.My jimmy is in a shop thats very dark doesnt have enough lighting.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Why dont you get a work light, or use a work light inside the truck while you take the back panel off. Trust me, its a lot easier to take it off then it is to drill a hole, hope its in the right spot, and then you have a hole.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:05 AM
kabrynsdaddy is on a distinguished road

The back panel has to screws you have to have the gate open to get to and one screw the glass has to be open

Old 10-07-2012, 03:12 PM
BF Veteran

People have done it before, Do a search.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos
Why dont you get a work light, or use a work light inside the truck while you take the back panel off. Trust me, its a lot easier to take it off then it is to drill a hole, hope its in the right spot, and then you have a hole.
You are correct and even if I wanted to go that route it isnt possible because the drill bit wont reach back into the hole far enough.The electric mechanism or switch is still connected is there anyway I can hook a 12 volt power source to the wires on the switch and get it to open?I think theres 5-6 wires that hook into it if i remember correctly.I know it sure would be nice if I could get my tail gate to open and close like it should.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 PM
BF Veteran
Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 PM

Well Im sure i`LL be working on it again tomorrow,I`ll look for the srews do you know where abouts on the door panel they are located?Im pretty sure I looked at the inside of the back before I didnt see any screws but there is that possibility that there is an oversite on my part.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:01 PM
BF Veteran

on my first gen there are like 6 screws along the bottom, and then a couple on either side at the top. Would probably be easiest to follow the instructions in post 8 on the link I gave you, so you can open it. the way its done in there, you can still cover it up with the carpet back there so you cant see the hole.

Quick Reply: Need help with my tail gate.