Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Need to know what to get for 96-98 front end swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Beginning Member
Plowboytc is on a distinguished road
Default Need to know what to get for 96-98 front end swap

Hey guys, I'm going in the morning to help a guy pull a motor out of a 98, in return, I get all the front end stuff for it, and possibly a few other parts. But anyway, I've gathered that I need the rad support, lights, grille, and wiring harness. My question is, do I NEED the bumper or bumper cover? I can get it if I have to, but its a different color.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:36 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by Plowboytc
Hey guys, I'm going in the morning to help a guy pull a motor out of a 98, in return, I get all the front end stuff for it, and possibly a few other parts. But anyway, I've gathered that I need the rad support, lights, grille, and wiring harness. My question is, do I NEED the bumper or bumper cover? I can get it if I have to, but its a different color.
The required items to have are the radiator support, grille, headlights, and turn signals. You can use a 95-97 bumper and valence with your new 98+ front end, but it might look slightly weird as you will have two sets of turn signal lights.

You only need the wiring if you are converting from sealed beams to composite. If your blazer now has composite, no wiring is necessary.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Beginning Member

thanks for the info, I finally got everything buttoned back up. Took longer than I thought it would, but the wife is happy, and it looks pretty good.
Name:  blazerfront.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  124.0 KB

Old 08-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Default .

Indeed, I think it looks good too! Clean looking install. I want to do this eventually, but the funds haven't been there for it. I'm guessing for everything, I'll be paying in the $150 to $180 range.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Beginning Member

thanks man, I lucked out getting this stuff. Best advice I can give is have someone there to help ya out. I did this one by myself, and a helping hand would have made life SO much easier.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Default .

thanks man, I lucked out getting this stuff. Best advice I can give is have someone there to help ya out. I did this one by myself, and a helping hand would have made life SO much easier.
Yeah, I hear ya. The radiator support looks a tad heavy. Did you find stuff at the junkyard or Craigslist?

Old 08-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Beginning Member

A friend of a friend of the family needed a motor for his 4x4 S10. My Sister-in-law's dad had a 99 blazer with a good motor in it, the guy bought it, and the seller started pulling the motor, and couldn't figure out how to get it out. He asked my father in law if I would come down and finish pulling it, and in trade, He'd give me what ever parts I wanted for my Blazer. So basically, I have $10 in diesel (my DD is a 99 F250 with a 7.3) and about 1.5 hours of work in them.

And as far as the core support being heavy, yes it is. I'd guess around 40-45 pounds, it's not fun trying to man-handle it at all.

Last edited by Plowboytc; 08-05-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Default .

A friend of a friend of the family needed a motor for his 4x4 S10. My Sister-in-law's dad had a 99 blazer with a good motor in it, the guy bought it, and the seller started pulling the motor, and couldn't figure out how to get it out. He asked my father in law if I would come down and finish pulling it, and in trade, He'd give me what ever parts I wanted for my Blazer. So basically, I have $10 in diesel (my DD is a 99 F250 with a 7.3) and about 1.5 hours of work in them.

And as far as the core support being heavy, yes it is. I'd guess around 40-45 pounds, it's not fun trying to man-handle it at all.
Oh I know what you mean. When I've gotten a hitch or brushguard from the junkyard before, I would lift run set it down for a second then repeat that cycle lol.

And that trade sounds like a very good deal on your end. Heck of a deal. Does your powerstroke have stacks?

Old 08-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member

Nah, 5" turbo back with a 6" stainless tip. Custom tuned chip, idm modded, BHAF intake and a built trans. Getting injectors and a d66 turbo here soon for it.

I payed $900 for it and put an injector in an 05 6.0L the guy owned.
Name:  truck2.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  167.7 KB
Name:  truck3.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  164.5 KB