Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

New paint job

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:07 AM
Dustin Reuter is on a distinguished road
Default New paint job

For my 1995 Chevy Blazer, im curious as to how much id be paying for a paint job but not looking to spend over $500, any ideas? I want the paint job to be jet black...any ideas would be great. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:09 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Not looking to spend over 500 dollars on a paint job, on an SUV, Its not going to happen, Sorry.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

uh oh, better get maaco

Old 02-16-2013, 11:30 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by newguy
uh oh, better get maaco
They would not even do it for 500, for the whole truck.
and then, you would end up with a quickly fading peeling truck.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

I just audited a body shop. The cost of paint and supplies has increased drastically since the 60's. If you can find someone to do a decent job using 2 stage paint (clear coat over color) for less than $1800 or so, you are not going to like the results. If you do all the body work, taping, etc. and don't change colors, good paint is going to run about 900.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

I painted mine myself for like 30 bucks... Got a gallon of paint from Lowes, sanded and primed, then shot the paint onto there. You can also pick up real automotive paint from a local NAPA store I thin., Reducers, top coats, match paint, everything you need. I think I spent 70 bucks to do a Mustang's bumper with all the right stuff.

This is after a year of just sitting in the sun.

And this is about 2 years

Attached Thumbnails New paint job-301391_10150394144210140_678365591_n.jpg  
Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 PM
BF Veteran

You get what you pay for when it comes to paint (if you are wanting a glossy paint job. yeah, it will look nice at first, but let that UV light eat that clear coat away, it will be flaking worse than dandruff in a year.
The color, coat really does not matter, what you really want to splurge on is the clear coat. Never half *** the clear, or you will be doing it all over again.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

If you have the skills and the equipment a paint job is cheap and easy. Even a great one will only cost around $500 in materials DIY.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Diaita
If you have the skills and the equipment a paint job is cheap and easy. Even a great one will only cost around $500 in materials DIY.
That is true, but black is one of the toughest colors to paint, and get right, especially if you do not know what you are doing. And not to mention, painting any color outside, especially black, Very large risk of getting dust and other little floaty things landing in your wet paint. Eye sore.

Quick Reply: New paint job