Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

New Paint. Some appearance opinions desired

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Paint. Some appearance opinions desired

So I bit the bullet and decided to do the body work. I painted it at home using Summit Acrylic Urethane Single Stage. I mainly did it to get rid of the rust on the passenger side fender. It was getting pretty nasty. I still need to colorsand since there's some orange peel and a couple runs. And I need to remove a bunch of left over tape, like on the side molding. I did put a new ebay grille on it also, since the old one was a little beat.

So, I have a few questions.
1. Does the truck look ok without the lower spoiler that bolts to the front bumper? I kinda like seeing the skid plate but I'm not sure if it looks funny on this truck.

2. How's it look without the roof rack?

3. Does the back look like its sagging or is it just me? I was thinking about putting heavy load shocks on the back with the helper springs built in

4. Any tips for colorsanding? It'll be my first time. I was going to go over it with 1000 grit, polish with a wool bonnet and perfect-it II, then foam bonnet with the same stuff, then a nice glaze, and be careful of the edges.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I like it better with the lower valance. In the picture the rear does look like its sagging a bit. Get some mothers back to black for the front bumper molding.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:25 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it does look like it's sagging a bit and I personally like it without the roof rack i'm waiting until I can remove mine. It looks fine without the lower valance your front end similar to mine except I have chrome bumpers.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Starting Member

Is the back to black only for black trim like the name implies? My trim is supposed to be grey

Old 06-18-2010, 07:25 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

It's just my opinion but I like the missing lower valance, but think I like it with the roof rack. Just my opinion.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:07 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, all depends what you wana do with it I think if it was me I would take it off if I was going to lower it and put on some kind of different roof rack if I was going put a lift kit and some big off roading tires on.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member
akley88 is on a distinguished road

that looks good. how hard was it to do, cause mine needs a paintjob. i like it with the roof rack too.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by akley88
that looks good. how hard was it to do, cause mine needs a paintjob. i like it with the roof rack too.
To be honest it was pretty difficult. The body work took me a while, and sanding the truck down did also, even with a power sander. Now, I'm working on color sanding and polishing. Working on it here and there i'm about 75% done. Plus, the tape I used left a lot of residue on the rubber trim, and is kinda time consuming to remove. Leaving it out in the sun melted the glue on it.

Maaco near me is selling a Urethane single stage paint job for like $450. And the Maaco near me does very respectable work. I probably should have gone that route, but at least i'm getting experience doing this myself. I'm about $150 into the paint now, so I did save some money doing it myself, but I have a LOT of time into it. It's single stage black urethane from Summit Racing

Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I prefer the lower valance. It looks more complete.
Also, the ditched roof rack looks great. If you never used it, then I say leave it off!

Old 07-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by cbr995
I prefer the lower valance. It looks more complete.
Also, the ditched roof rack looks great. If you never used it, then I say leave it off!
Thanks, yeah it is definitly something I've never used. After the winter we had this year, I realized what a pain it was cleaning ice out of the roof rack.

As far as the lower valance, I'm actually planning on installing the fog lights I had in the position of that lower valance to maybe add some usefullness to them, and to fill in that space that is kinda missing. Also, I'll be cranking the front bars up a little bit after I install my add-a-leafs so it should be sitting a little higher overall. I'll have pictures when its all said and done. The truck has been color sanded and polished and is looking pretty nice now

Quick Reply: New Paint. Some appearance opinions desired